Building the Guillows kit of the F-14 Tomcat in traditional balsa construction.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Guillows has been manufacturing balsa model kits longer than anyone else in the industry,over the years they have established a very interesting range of model kits that have to be worked on rather than just assembled,by this I mean parts are provided as flat balsa sheets many in die cut form so easing with a knife is essential,take your time and work a little each day and you will be rewarded with a fine model that you can be proud to display or even fly.

The subjects range from WW1 biplanes to modern jet aircraft and it is this subject here that was tackled recently,a F-14 Tomcat in wood with lightweight tissue covering,the model performs well as a simple glider in my case dropped from a mother plane from around 400 feet gliding down gracefully but keep your eyes on it becuse these models fly really well !

Construction is traditional keel with formers supported by stringers at intervals,for extra strength in certain areas I use ordinary white cartridge paper stuck down carefully at the edges with aliphatic resin adhesive which has instant grab to the balsa structure,a finishing coat of banana oil ensures that the paper does not loose its shape over time,banana oil is still available from the manufacturers HMG products.

The tissue provided in the kit is more than adequate grey lightweight,apply carefully in panels and then watershrink to allow the tissue to tighten prior to finishing with a wonderful product called 'Ezydope' this is an excellent replacement for the old smelly cellulose clear dope,one big advantage of this product is it can be used in a domestic environment safely.

The various rockets were made from paper and bamboo skewers attached to small balsa pylons,the whole model proved to be challenging and enjoyable to build from the raw materials in the kit,plans are highly detailed and a step by step guide to build is provided.

The fuselage construction can be observed here,jet pipes etc are provided with vacuum formed mouldings.

The completed Tomcat looks most impressive.cockpit details were made from carved foam painted with acrylics.

Rockets made from wooden skewers and card for the fins.

Wings can be set in closed or extended positions,best for flying is extended.

Covered in small sections of tissue with areas of cartridge paper in places of stress.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Barry,
I haven't seen a balsa plane for years and certainly not a jet. Many years ago my dad and I built a FW190 we took it up an orchard near us wound up the propeller let it loose and it crashed straight into the ground and broke a wing. I don't know who was more upset me or my dad.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Barry,
That takes me back! KeilCraft EZ build - first balsa plane I 'built'. My father built slope soarers, wingspans of 8ft+ - he also built the r/c for it as well - Aeromodeller and Practical Wireless were his bibles! I graduated to Jetex models - then onto r/c powered models ( Mills 75 ). Sadly my piloting ability never came close to my building skills - I gave up after crashing on 3 maiden flights!
Dave

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Barry
Most interesting. I had no idea balsa kits were so complex and impressive.
Jim