Building up gaps !

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi, as I battle with my Frankenstein like figures some help please, tips, re filling those gaps when using a different leg or arm from the one made for the kit.
I have being trying to fill with normal white filler , but the part is maybe only held on by a small amount of plastic face to face.

Is there anything I could use that would fill the gap and strengthen the joint.
Any help would be most gratefully received

John.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Superglue and baking powder will fill gaps and set very quickly.

Pete

• Wow
Reactions: JR
D

Deleted member 6559

Hi John - I ten to pack the gaps with little wedges of scrap plastic, file that down when set, the fill any gaps that are left.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I have used the old sprue in liquid cement as a filler , have half a bottle of tamiya thin full of sprue for it
Thanks Gary.
Seems the perfect answer.

Superglue and baking powder will fill gaps and set very quickly.

Pete
Thanks Pete.

Hi John - I ten to pack the gaps with little wedges of scrap plastic, file that down when set, the fill any gaps that are left.
Hi Peter, I've been doing that up till now, just wondered if there was any other ways I could try.

Thanks guys, I can see me trying the sprue one and the super glue/ baking powder as well. Had been concerned as one of the arms fell off !!!! after using the std filler. Had tried Peters method, the piece is still drying as we speak.

John.

D

Durk

Hi John, in addition to all the above, you can fill the larger gaps with magic sculp. But you have to make sure the limb is attached firmly:sick:. If you manage to properly fill the gap, you can smooth it out with a wet finger, only very minimal sanding when dry, if at all. It is not the fasted method though.....

D

Deleted member 5819

Hi John sprue glue works very well .
Pete.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi John, in addition to all the above, you can fill the larger gaps with magic sculp. But you have to make sure the limb is attached firmly:sick:. If you manage to properly fill the gap, you can smooth it out with a wet finger, only very minimal sanding when dry, if at all. It is not the fasted method though.....
Cheers Durk, I appreciate you saying its not the fastest method. :thumb2:

Hi John sprue glue works very well .
Pete.
Pete thanks, going to try several methods I think.

John.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Further to the CA and baking soda - I have used CA and talcum powder - it's allegedly finer than baking soda! - No idea if that's true, but it works.....................
Dave

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Further to the CA and baking soda - I have used CA and talcum powder - it's allegedly finer than baking soda! - No idea if that's true, but it works.....................
Dave

it is

used it many times......bonus is that it dries rock hard quickly but sands easily

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
as already said,I have done it alot with,these,s vinyl kits,is superglue and baking power,
as a filler,just leave a 1mm or so under,and fill the rest with,on of the other fill,s if you like,:smiling::thumb2:

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
John

I've used all of the teqhniques depending on the size of the gap. My preferred is CA Glue and milliput/Magic Sculpt

Peter

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi John
I have only done anything like you mention a couple of times so I'm definitely no way experienced. The idea is not mine but taken from a YouTube video.
Take a stiffish piece of wire. Drill a hole into the ends to be joined. Say the shoulder and the top of the arm. The join does not need to be close fitting. Fix a short length of wire into the two holes with CA. The wire allows the arm to be bent into the desired position. Milliput or similar can be used to fill the space around the wire. The putty can be sculpted to match the surrounding area. The putty cures and sets the limb firmly on place. I use a VERY thin smear of Vaseline to stop the putty sticking to the sculpting tools and to smooth it. Before painting the Vaseline is cleaned with lighter fluid so the paint sticks ok.
Hope that makes some kind of sense.
Jim

R

RichardMo

I Agree with Peter on the small chips used as filler. then baking powder and super glue like Stillp and Dave suggested .
Rick

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
You can also drill through and pin the limb, then fill the gaps with milliput or other filler without worrying about having to add strength...
Tim, I like this idea to give the strength and flexibility with badly mating pieces. :thumb2:.

Dave
Thanks Dave, another one to ponder.
it is

used it many times......bonus is that it dries rock hard quickly but sands easily

Cheers Paul.
as already said,I have done it alot with,these,s vinyl kits,is superglue and baking power,
as a filler,just leave a 1mm or so under,and fill the rest with,on of the other fill,s if you like,:smiling::thumb2:
Monica thanks you, great tip with leaving it under filled.:thumb2:
John

I've used all of the teqhniques depending on the size of the gap. My preferred is CA Glue and milliput/Magic Sculpt

Peter
Morning Peter, think I have some Milliput. oh the choices:smiling: .

Hi John
I have only done anything like you mention a couple of times so I'm definitely no way experienced. The idea is not mine but taken from a YouTube video.
Take a stiffish piece of wire. Drill a hole into the ends to be joined. Say the shoulder and the top of the arm. The join does not need to be close fitting. Fix a short length of wire into the two holes with CA. The wire allows the arm to be bent into the desired position. Milliput or similar can be used to fill the space around the wire. The putty can be sculpted to match the surrounding area. The putty cures and sets the limb firmly on place. I use a VERY thin smear of Vaseline to stop the putty sticking to the sculpting tools and to smooth it. Before painting the Vaseline is cleaned with lighter fluid so the paint sticks ok.
Hope that makes some kind of sense.
Jim
Jim, as soon as I read the use of a flammable item,:smiling: , thanks for the tip , no doubt I would have missed that and ended up with a botched paint job.
I Agree with Peter on the small chips used as filler. then baking powder and super glue like Stillp and Dave suggested .
Rick
Thanks Rick. John.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you one and all for the suggestions, so many to choose from , I shall go off now and have a play, of course explaining to Management as to why I have stolen her talc may be rather awkward, it was bad enough last week asking for some hair spray. !!!!

With luck I should post an update on the build page.
John.