Burnishing Fluid

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
Having started to delve into metal tracks...what are people's thoughts on Burnishing Fluids? Worth it? Recommended brands, brands to avoid? Do's and don'ts?

Thanks in advance.

Jack

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Having started to delve into metal tracks...what are people's thoughts on Burnishing Fluids? Worth it? Recommended brands, brands to avoid? Do's and don'ts?

Thanks in advance.

Jack
Hello Jack,
I have a bottle of AK interactive (AK 159) that I have used once and it worked as described. I will be using it again in the next 24 hours on some chain for my build, I will put some pics up on my blog for you to judge for yourself.
But on the whole if you are using metal tracks then just prime with car primer and weather to your own satisfaction (ref Challenger 2 blog).
Do' and don'ts, just follow the instructions, do not drink (hangover is terrible) and used plastic cups, I use the caps from spray cans.
HTH
Mike.

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
Brilliant, thanks Mike

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
I've just used AK on my StugB build on here - works well. Gives an even light brown coating that looks pretty much the same colour as Track Primer paint

Make it go further by using a 50:50 mix with water - still works ok. Only need enough solution to fully cover all links

I did the individual links. If you assemble the track first don't stick the wires in with CA glue as the fluid will not penetrate the CA so you get bald bits where the glue smears are - I did that first time I used the fluid a few years back :rolling:

The good thing with the fluid is that it is quick and gives full coverage of each link however, as with painting in track primer, they are both just starting points - whichever method you use you will also need to paint the tracks to get the best from them - rust tones, dirt, dust etc

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
Great stuff, thanks Simon.

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
Despite the excellent advice, it seems the UK is sold out of AK.

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Jack,
Basic instructions in pic form below, most work in the same way.
trackwash.jpg

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
Thanks Mike, appreciate the help.