Buzz ...

• Thread starter Deleted member 7917
  • Start date

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Must agree and can see why you get a buss with a finish like that. What did you use for the masking Murfie ?

D

Deleted member 7917

John, on the wings and tailplane I use paper shapes attached via thin rolls of Blu-Tack. The shapes come from scanning an image of the cammo scheme in the instructions and then printing the image to the exact size of the model. IrfanView is an ideal free Windows application that does that. Once printed I just cut out the second colour to be applied with my scissors.

On the fuselage I use thin Blu-Tack rolls to define the edges of the pattern and fill in the second colour with adhesive masking tape between the rolls. I've tried umpteen different methods and this one produces the best results while being relatively quick to apply.

Cheers,

Murfie

D

Deleted member 7181

That's come out very nicely. I'd like to try the paper patterns myself some day, although it would mean getting a printer lol.

I'm currently 4 hours deep into masking a vehicle camo at the moment, with no end in sight. The shape and hard edges mean tape is the only way :unamused:

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Murfie

That's a great finish and you should be very pleased with yourself.

I tried a similar technique to you you on my last but one build with a spitfire.

In that case I bought some cheap sheets of A4 acetate, the sort of thing you used to use on overhead projectors, placed that over a slightly blown up version of the camouflage instructions and traced the outline on that using a permanent marker.

I happened to have a reel of 2 inch wide low tack masking tape on hand. So I placed that over the acetate outline and traced the pattern into the masking tape.

I then cut it off just like you did. But it meant I didn't need to use the blue tack and it also means I have a permanent mask template for the camo for that particular mark of spitfire.

ATB

Andrew

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
That looks good Murfie, I do the same and it does give a buzz when removing. I get e greater buzz with canopies.

Cheers,
Richard

D

Deleted member 7917

Just had another buzz with a 1/48 Tamiya Brewster Buffalo. Here's some pics of the entire process ...

At the start ...
01.jpg

Cutting out and attaching paper masks with Blu-Tack ...
02.jpg 03.jpg

Just the body left ...
04.jpg

Prepping the body with Blu-Tack ...
05.jpg

Masking the alternate body colour ...
06.jpg

Give it all a spray ...
07.jpg

One correction needed ...
08.jpg

The finished product ...
11.jpg 10.jpg 09.jpg

Next!

D

Deleted member 7917

That looks good Murfie, I do the same and it does give a buzz when removing. I get e greater buzz with canopies.
Richard
I used to paint my canopies by hand, Richard, but since I had the stroke I've had to resort to masks as my dominant right hand is only 85%, but the result has been impressive so I'm not disappointed, just lighter in the wallet. It does put the icing on the cake when you crack a good canopy job with a great cammo.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
I used to paint my canopies by hand, Richard, but since I had the stroke I've had to resort to masks as my dominant right hand is only 85%, but the result has been impressive so I'm not disappointed, just lighter in the wallet. It does put the icing on the cake when you crack a good canopy job with a great cammo.
That gets a double :thumb2: :thumb2: from me, that's perseverance with only a percentage of a good hand.

Cheers,
Richard

D

Deleted member 7917

Very neat work Murfie, but looking at the photos, I'm relieved I just use a pencil and a brush. ;);)
I agree 100% with your signature motto, Ron. I've found that slavishly following others' techniques just doesn't work. Just find your own method that does. When I post about my own techniques it's a case of what I do NOT what others should be doing. Maybe some little thing I do might be helpful to someone else which is what I pick up from observing the ways others go about modelling.

The photos probably don't do justice to how quick and easy I find my camouflage technique. I tried the paper masks on fuselages but that so fiddly and was a flop so that is how I came to combine two methods I'd seen others use, into one. It produces a really natural representation of the furring between airbrushed paint colours on a real plane.

I held off trying an airbrush for years, but I'm glad I finally had a go as the finish on my models has improved leaps and bounds. But then again my skills with the hairy stick were pretty poor anyway. One great advantage of brushing is that apart from technique it's all straight forward, whereas with the airbrush you have many more issues involved (psi, mixture, optimum needle size, spray booth, ventilation, airbrush cleaning, etc. ) Just at the moment I am finding all those 'hassles' have been worth it.

Cheers