BVP M80A - ex Yugoslav IFV in 1/35 scale

MAK2020

SMF Supporter
First Name
MAK2020
Since 2 years i am working on Yugoslav made IFV (1B 2V 3P - 1borbeno 2vozilo 3pješaštva = 1Fighting 2Vechicle 3for Infantry). This work included many mesurements of real vehicle, study of its variants and subvariants, drawing and modeling with use of real blueprints etc. Software 3d model is almost done, parellel with modelling i 3d printed parts, or make parts on lathe etc.

UKUzOn.jpg
c7ExeD.jpg
PZIvMQ.jpg
ys6Ysx.jpg
kL6Z5N.jpg
azKwpN.jpg
HQESrO.jpg
0lnL0t.jpg
F2KbO1.jpg
x7dDZI.jpg
Y7LRN2.jpg
bn3VqZ.jpg
lcZQ5c.jpg

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Oh, that is cool. Earlier this week I bought an old Concord book, The Balkans on Fire from 1993, about the early part of the wars that broke up Yugoslavia. Looking at some of the photos in it, I thought, “An matey would be an unusual model to have on the shelf …” but of course, no kits are available of them in 1:35 scale. And now you show up with a model of one :smiling3:

MAK2020

SMF Supporter
First Name
MAK2020
Oh, that is cool. Earlier this week I bought an old Concord book, The Balkans on Fire from 1993, about the early part of the wars that broke up Yugoslavia. Looking at some of the photos in it, I thought, “An matey would be an unusual model to have on the shelf …” but of course, no kits are available of them in 1:35 scale. And now you show up with a model of one :smiling3:

Thnx! Well, this one is far a way from finished, because, i want to make vehicle as came original from factory; my vehicle represent specific vehicle from beginning of war, with JNA (Yugoslav people's army) tactical number 12179 that was in war clashes in Slovenia in July 1991. That vehicle is well documented with photos, from allaround, that's important because there are many differences between those vehicles (not in general, but in fine details).

But yes, in stage how is now, it can represent vehicle in mid or post war.

Unfortunately, there are no commercial models to buy, in any scale, that is with satisfactory details or with accurate measures.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Superb work MAK. I think we may be looking at the future of modelling right here!

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
my vehicle represent specific vehicle from beginning of war, with JNA (Yugoslav people's army) tactical number 12179 that was in war clashes in Slovenia in July 1991. That vehicle is well documented with photos
I just checked, and there are four of it on pages 14 and 15 of the book I mentioned :smiling3: Standing in a field with what looks like maize, climbing out of that field onto a road and when it’s on that road. I assume you already have all of those, and probably more?

there are many differences between those vehicles (not in general, but in fine details).
That makes it fun, doesn’t it? :smiling3: I’ve been building a number of models of specific vehicles in recent years, and working out the exact details you need to add, remove or change makes them much more fun to build than just another generic one, IMHO.

MAK2020

SMF Supporter
First Name
MAK2020
I just checked, and there are four of it on pages 14 and 15 of the book I mentioned :smiling3: Standing in a field with what looks like maize, climbing out of that field onto a road and when it’s on that road. I assume you already have all of those, and probably more?

Historical background:

This corn field is now in border crossing zone Bregana, between Croatia and Slovenia. Yes, exactly this pictures, and some more. Autor and copywritter is professinoal photographer Jacques Langevin, on Getty Images. Vehicles belonging to 4. armored brigade of JNA in Jaska city (now Jastrebarsko city), very professional brigade in that part of Yugoslavia, so called A - brigade, with high mobilisation factor in peace time, in contrary of B and R brigades
. Striking fist that needed to opose NATO in west Yugoslav border or Varsaw pact in East part of their zone of acting/jurisdiction. And yes, some of vehicles (maybe ''my'' matey) belonging to units that came from Zagreb army barracks ''Maršal Tito''. They have primary objective to deblocade Cerklje airbase, and maybe to go towards Ljubljana airfield Brnik. They stuck out here in this field, because slovenian Teritorrial defense blocked this armed column of vehicles in Prilipe vilage, cca 2 -3 km out of there. On 2 july was a combat on baricade in Prilipe ... some of apcs and tanks are destroyed, and column never finished their objective. They stuckt in Prilipe village. Couple of days after they are withdrawn back to barracks in Jastrebarsko (and Zagreb). They were opposed by cca 10 slovenian Soldiers armed with light hand antitank launchers, RB M57, or ''Zolja'' in best case ''Osa''. And attacked by friendly fire from sky. 2 APC-s are hit by aircrafts.

More here:

And here big reportages from 16.31 minut to 22.42 minut, and ''maršal Tito'' army barracks and part of that vehicle column from 9.50 - 14.05 minut, and small parts 27.39-28.37; 35.19-35.34; 36.26-36.54

Final zone that this armored column reached
UJYqBM.jpg

Today:
h7RVNn.jpg
eLkXWU.jpg

Yes, it is very fun to analyzing and making these details. Turret type, details on turret type, etc etc etc. With time i will explain .... i am newbie here .... so lot of business to introduce myself, and to like and comment work from other members.

Links to more pictures of vehicle 12179:

Link to tanks position before 1 of them destroyed (meadow on map left yellow square ''later this day destroyed tanks''):

Links to other pictures of this events:

M84 Tank destroyed below slovenian defence positions:

Regards!

Attachments

• HecTw0.jpg
    HecTw0.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
That’s the kind of research I like to see :smiling3:

Unfortunately, the first video has an age restriction, which means it can only be viewed when logged into YouTube (and then you may still need to prove your age to see it). Ah, because apparently, modern viewers don’t expect to see dead people in pictures of a war zone …

MAK2020

SMF Supporter
First Name
MAK2020
I made this research, because, all this happened 20 minutes by car from my home. I live in Zagreb. All this events are part of my real life. On this day war knocked on the door of Zagreb residents (they whistling, rebel against JNA, beeping with cars on streets .... first civil victim in Zagreb fall on this day) (war knocked many months before, but not in this way). About youtube, and many modern restrictions .... all this is okay in some way, but when they go to formalism, and oweremotionalism, then .... Yeah, moder viewers, modern people ... modern .... i realy dont know how modern man can to be to trained and educated for a pathologist, they need to abolish this vocation :smiling3: :smiling3: :smiling3: .... but .... this is out of subject here ;)

Second part and reason is one deep question - how about 10 soldiers, armed with ''bazookas'' and small arms can stop entire armored (plus one mechanized) battalion. There was big social influence in this story. This entire unit of Yugo army has being disintegrated on this day from inside (multinational army, consistent of Slovenians and Croats and other .. Albanians, Bosnian muslims, Macedonians, non Serbo viewer Montenegrians that in this case has no any wish to fight for). Army leaders that told to his (and this) soldiers that they go to intervene on western borders against outer - NATO - enemy. In this days they were cutted off from informations, tv, newspapers radio - radiotransistors etc. ... they ofcourse assumed that they go to stifle the independence of Croatia and Slovenia (declared and proclaimed on days before), but formal information to conscripts was - protect western borders from invader from outside. Only 3 remaining cohesive elements in this unit are in this moment military police in wheeled apc's on back of column, and some of officers with they pistols, and maybe some serbo viewer soldiers. All this was fail in root.

P.S. first video is completly included in other videos ;)

Last edited:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I made this research, because, all this happened 20 minutes by car from my home.
That I can understand completely. For the last few years I’ve been building a number of models of vehicles that landed 5 km from where I live in 1944, and have several more in the pipeline.

non Serbo viewer Montenegrians that in this case has no any wish to fight for
Years ago, I used to know two Serb brothers, who had fled to the Netherlands because they didn’t want to fight the Kosovars in 1999.

MAK2020

SMF Supporter
First Name
MAK2020
Oh, i need to see many of works that You and other people posted on this forum. I will be commenting soon, during this week i hope :smiling3:

About those 2 brothers .... that i can full understand. I am Croat, i have no problems with Serbs (or any). Many Serbs in war fought in Croatian army - as volunteers, Croatia is homeland of all its LOYAL citizens - that is my point of view. But, i think that we must stand here, this is historical - political, and this is not why we are in this forum, and may become somebody that can wrong understand me, or argue with me about theme - Croatian war for independence (a very broad and profound subject) - and this is a way out from BVP M80A, scale modeling etc. Of course, in private messages this is something another...

Regards! :smiling3:

Last edited:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Oh, i need to see many of works that You and other people posted on this forum. I will be commenting soon, during this week i hope :smiling3:
You have a big task ahead of you, then :smiling3: