By popular request.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
3e5b4b70.jpg

You asked for a drawing of the American Gyro company AG-4 Crusader,well here it is,it may be yellowed and aged but it still gives enough information to build a model of this unique nineteen thirties art deco aeroplane design.

Potential builders please note that the fins have insufficent area for a successful flying model so increase them accordingly,dont forget to incorporate some washout into the wings as well.

Out of all the one off American designs this one has created more interest than any of them,a modern full size version of this aircraft is surely long overdue ?

D

duncan

Brilliant Barry, I just happen to have a couple of small glo engines that might be in one of them by spring-time ! Anymore photographs surfaced ? How about another couple of shots of your original model.

K

Kiwi

Give me a day or so to find the box and I can post you some model plans of it.

D

duncan

Give me a day or so to find the box and I can post you some model plans of it.
I,ve digging around in the virtual plans-box and came up with a few gems regarding the Crusader. Plans available from Flying Aces ,Alamo escadrille on www.windysock.net (peanut scale I guess). Loads of pics of full-size on www.aahs-online.org/backissues/V48N1 and on www.aviation-history.com/amergyro/ag4-1 Best of all on www.rareplanes.com a coffee-table book on the plane,the history,art-deco,skull-duggery,the designer etc., even a sound recording of the engines on this site. The colour of the full-size might be difficult to model, it was described as "the color of a new penny" I think a few hints to Santa is in order for this household !

View attachment 7264

/monthly_2004_12/57272b6cd624c_cruscolourgyro.gif.d70a2823df93859071046c5b453ee66f.gif

View attachment 11959

View attachment 12559

cruscolour gyro.gif

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Well researched Duncan and thanks for all of this additional gen,no excuses now to not build a model,this colourscheme is interesting and new to me,she must have had two different schemes this copper colour and the overall red depicted on my own model ?

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Just been listening to those two Menasco engines in the Crusader droning away,talk about nostalgia ! this airplane has become a legend in itself,would sure love to see that book.

K

Kiwi

I found the plan for the 24" span model, it takes 4 A4 pages and when I scanned it to my computer each page came out at around 3mb! If I am to post them here I'll have to do some creative thinking. Any ideas?

Neville

D

duncan

Hope to see it soon Kiwi, cant help with techy bit though. Should we re-title this thread to Shelton " Crusader" AG4 or something. The word "Gyro" is very mis-leading.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I found the plan for the 24" span model, it takes 4 A4 pages and when I scanned it to my computer each page came out at around 3mb! If I am to post them here I'll have to do some creative thinking. Any ideas?Neville
*** Kiwi,send the files to me at wonwinglo@scale-models.co.uk and I will upload them on the web site with a direct link to here,that way the full size of the plan plus the detail will not be lost.

D

duncan

...found another one. Not so elegant. This and the previous post came from an interesting site by a master draughtsman in Florida who re-draws vintage and classic models to a very high standard. They are inexpensive considering the work that goes into them and with the £ to $ rate very favourable at the moment this is the time to buy some great plans from the past. The site is very entertaining too with his on-going war with forgers and scam merchants. He warns you that it is politically incorrect (girlie pictures..all in the best possible taste) His list is vast and includes control-line, f/f, r/c, seaplanes. Worth an hour just browsing. www.myunclewillies.com

View attachment 7300

/monthly_2004_12/57272b6d06df3_X.Ppushervintage.jpg.3f80c67497a9726952785127f907befc.jpg

View attachment 11995

View attachment 12595

X.P pusher vintage.jpg

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Here is look-alike single engine pusher from Air Trails 1946 Annual. Any ideas on this one? For those that liked the Crusader but not twin engines this could be an option.
*** Duncan I think this is a Crusader with a bit of artistic licence,it would sure be a way of evaluating the configuration without going the twin route,it looks good anyway,I may just be tempted here ?

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
http://www.wonwinglo.scale-models.net/id40.htm

Thanks to Kiwi who has made this possible everyone now has access to the Crusader plans,they are easy to scale up or down as required and can if required be printed direct from the site,if you need to work offline just right click and 'save to' wherever you wish,then print them out,if you need them bigger place into a paint programme and re-scale.

Three cheers for Kiwi !!

D

duncan

Good on yer, Nev !....and you too Barry.

Last edited: