Caledonian MacBrayne Ferry 'Bute' - A Card Model.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Here is the finished paper and card model Ferry. If you want all the emotions you can think of when making a scale model, get a card one! Enough said me thinks....

I've added some extras to it. Some bollards, ropes, rigging, funnel tops and various bits to the Bridge roof, including a radar. All just to try and give the ferry a bit more detail and life.

The folds all have to be painted in the original colour to hide the raw card. I just mixed tube paints to get close to them.

I made an imaginary docking slipway/quayside out of odds and sods. All sat on a piece of chipboard from an old kitchen unit. Painted and varnished.

So here is my first, and knowing what I now know after making it, my last card model. But who knows? Not I.

There you have it.
There is no question, these models are difficult to make. Even this relatively small one.
To anyone thinking of having a go at one, the only advise I can offer is go for it, but choose something straight forward first. Superb though they look, don't be tempted into buying a 'Biggy' - Not yet anyway!

Cheers all and thanks for all your support and posts during the construction process.

Ron

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
That has to be the best card model ever! Absolutely stunning Ron It was certainly all worth the grief. Terrific work

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
wow!

amazing.......until i got to last pic i was convinced it was at least 3 times as big!

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Bravo Ron

I lot of patience to assemble but the finished product is outstanding.

John

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Ron
Impressive stuff. Your photos of your models are really top notch. I would love to have ago at one - do they do a rowing boat!?
Jim

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Wow!
Thank you one and all for your great comments.
It makes the cursing and almost bin time worth while when I receive such great posts.

Jim - The links posted during the build have some basic models. Go on, have a go.

Thanks again.
Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Peter.
To nearly fool someone that it might be the real thing, even for a split second, is indeed the best compliment anyone can get in this hobby of ours.

A humble thank you.

Ron

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Blinkin flip Ron,
(Excuse the language)...permission to be truly blown away sir!:surprised:

Firstly I’d never of believed it was a card kit so hats off to the makers..
Secondly a hats off, nay a DOUBLE hats off to you for making such a smashing job of the build and thirdurly (:smiling5:)..the scenery and pictures you’ve taken are just the sweet, tasty icing on the top.
Sincerely excellent mate:thumb2:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well. That turned out brilliantly. You had me fooled too. Then I saw it was way to clean. A future project maybe?
I'll drink some of that iffy home brew, if this is the last card model you build.
Great job mate.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
He did the same thing to me Peter, until I remembered that he used clear plastic for the windows on the bridge. Your hand vs. the Fiat and the size of whole ferry itself, makes me dizzy thinking about how you folded all those pieces. This one for the record books Ron!!!

And amazingly, you still have a bit of your sanity left over…….Very impressive Sir!!!

WOW
Allen

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I'm really bowled over by all your excellent posts. Thank you.

Ian - In real life the MacBrayne's Ferries are kept in tip top order and really do sparkle. So no weathering needed.

Cheers all.
Ron

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Wow, I'm another that thought the first photo was real !
You certainly have the nack for doing a back drop, think a SBS would be of interest !
Brillent Ron, most impressed with the whole subject of card builds. I'd probably be safe with a brick version !
John .

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks very much John. Your positive comments are much appreciated.

Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures of the jetty construction. Next time I do something similar I will.

Like you with bricks, I think I'll stick with a big lump of harmless 3" X 2"

Thanks again my good buddy.
Ron

ozdell

Rest In Peace
First Name
Tony
Here is the finished paper and card model Ferry. If you want all the emotions you can think of when making a scale model, get a card one! Enough said me thinks....

I've added some extras to it. Some bollards, ropes, rigging, funnel tops and various bits to the Bridge roof, including a radar. All just to try and give the ferry a bit more detail and life.

The folds all have to be painted in the original colour to hide the raw card. I just mixed tube paints to get close to them.

I made an imaginary docking slipway/quayside out of odds and sods. All sat on a piece of chipboard from an old kitchen unit. Painted and varnished.

So here is my first, and knowing what I now know after making it, my last card model. But who knows? Not I.

View attachment 329234

View attachment 329235

View attachment 329237

View attachment 329236

View attachment 329238

View attachment 329239

View attachment 329240

View attachment 329241

View attachment 329243

View attachment 329244

View attachment 329245

View attachment 329246

View attachment 329247

View attachment 329250

View attachment 329248

View attachment 329249

There you have it.
There is no question, these models are difficult to make. Even this relatively small one.
To anyone thinking of having a go at one, the only advise I can offer is go for it, but choose something straight forward first. Superb though they look, don't be tempted into buying a 'Biggy' - Not yet anyway!

Cheers all and thanks for all your support and posts during the construction process.

Ron
Hi Ron, found your Scottish ferry, wow pure awesome , what scale is she looks to be N scale, are the trucks and trailers card as well, what I have being looking for in 87 scale,
very dear especially since I will need a lot of trailers.

My next build would like to model a Channel ferry, will look good beside my Ro Ro ship at port.

Tony from down under

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Ron

Quite simply brilliant. Like others on here that first photo had me thinking it was the genuine article.

That really is truly outstanding!!

Excellent, excellent work!!

Very well done.

Andrew

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Gotta be 1/160 or smaller. Very deceptive in the photos. This 570 chap is a wizard with a camera!:thinking: