Cammo netting?

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
So what's the 'go-to' for cammo netting nowadays? Last time I was doing any amount of modelling, the 'usual' was a hairnet (Ena Sharples style!) - still got some sat in the old modelling box:flushed:

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Gerry,
Firstly welcome to the forum. Personally I use Boots own brand gauze swabs they are cheap and last for ages.(There are other brands available) Simply cut to size soak in diluted white glue then form it around where you want it and let it dry. I normally place a piece of cling film over the kit so it doesn't stick and it can be removed to paint when dry. HTH

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Hi Gerry,
Firstly welcome to the forum. Personally I use Boots own brand gauze swabs they are cheap and last for ages.(There are other brands available) Simply cut to size soak in diluted white glue then form it around where you want it and let it dry. I normally place a piece of cling film over the kit so it doesn't stick and it can be removed to paint when dry. HTH
Thanks, will look at those - I don't reckon that hairnets are even produced nowadays!
Though not too far out for 1/35 scale;)IMG_20210217_184911467.jpg

Strenko J

Faithful rabble apprentice
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
just like Paul...Gauze pad cut to size and white glue diluted of course is my go to.

wasdale32

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Depends a lot on the period that you're trying to replicate - WW2 cam netting was fairly basic scrim netting with foliage or hessian strips tucked into it - that is well represented by the gauze already mentioned. Modern cam such as "Barracuda" tends to be die-cut fabric rather than netting - I found that a fair representation of modern cam can be done with garden "weed-block" which is a rubbery fabric with holes that can be stretched to expand the holes. I had a roll of the stuff left over from the garden. The effect can be seen below:
IMGP8175 (2).JPG

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Depends a lot on the period that you're trying to replicate - WW2 cam netting was fairly basic scrim netting with foliage or hessian strips tucked into it - that is well represented by the gauze already mentioned. Modern cam such as "Barracuda" tends to be die-cut fabric rather than netting - I found that a fair representation of modern cam can be done with garden "weed-block" which is a rubbery fabric with holes that can be stretched to expand the holes. I had a roll of the stuff left over from the garden. The effect can be seen below:
View attachment 414453
Thanks, though probably more interested in the WWII period, always worth keeping it in mind:thumb2:

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Wonder if you can still get 'sprout nets' from greengrocers?:thinking:
You can tell that I 'model on the cheap' ;) :tongue-out: