Camo help/advice needed please!

dubster72

Patrick
First Name
Patrick
Hi all,

Can I ask for some advice or comments about the camo pattern on this one?

It's the black on the hull that I'm unsure about. I'm wondering if it's too much & whether I should go over bits of it with the green & tan?

IMG_20151205_222826.jpg

IMG_20151205_222959.jpg

All thoughts gratefully received

Patrick

beowulf

avoiding the Kzinti
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
i think its about right...any less and the brown would be too much....once you get a matt varnish on it will dull down and blend

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I agree with Paul. A coat of varnish and a wash should blend it all together nicely.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Me too . once its been faded a bit with the washes/pigments etc it'll look fine , cheers tony

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I think the black is probably a bit too black maybe? If you were planning on weathering it or applying a wash to tone it down that might make the black less stark against the lighter colours.

I don't speak from a position of expertise on armour!

dubster72

Patrick
First Name
Patrick
Many thanks everyone! I think Rick has hit the nail on the head - the black is too black. I should have lightened it to a very dark grey, that would work better in 1/72.

So I'll drybrush the black with grey later & hopefully it'll blend in better along with the usual weathering.

Thanks again for helping :smiling3:

First Name
Polux
Hi Patrick.

You can use the "rubber" black by Ammo MIG is excellent. Will look much better than a dark grey, and the finish is matt ;)

First Name
John
Ooh, looking good! Yeah, agree with the others, pure black is a rare thing, and most blacks need a tad of dark grey at least. I have a pot of tamiya flat black with a gnat's knacker of mid grey in it, perfect for tyres and dark camouflage colours. This post reminded me of Michael Palin's "Ripping Yarns" - "Black pudding's very black today mother"!!!