Camo netting

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
View attachment 108310

Hi I would like opinions on both sides of the fence on my camo netting.

I got the idea from a You tube video where I took pieces of bandage which I teased out then soaked in earth brown acrylic.

Once dried I then mixed water and Pva glue and soaked again, left to dry thorough and then used German tank camo acrylics to get desired effect.

The netting will be rolled and stowed on tank that is part of ongoing diorama I'm doing.

All comments welcome

Robert View attachment 108309

d
image.jpg

image.jpg

L

Laurie

Think it depends a lot on the scale of the model Robert

I was contemplating putting a small amount on the Jackal which is 1/48. Going to try net curtaining to see if that works. There are many different sizes of "holes" so I will see what it looks like. Some of the curtaining is a bit wooly so that may work.

Think it was IanM who used a dishcloth material for his soft top lorry.

Laurie

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
I

\ said:
I was contemplating putting a small amount on the Jackal which is 1/48. Going to try net curtaining to see if that works. There are many different sizes of "holes" so I will see what it looks like. Some of the curtaining is a bit wooly so that may work.

Think it was IanM who used a dishcloth material for his soft top lorry.

Laurie
Hi Laurie

It's for my 1/35 Hetzer which will be in my diorama (Ardennes assault )

ITs taking time as I've been busy at work so not much time for modelling but I think it's not too bad.

I'll trim up of course before rolling/ folding to correct size. I notice that some later camo has leaf( artificial in bedded in the netting but I think I'm never going to happy until I get this one finished.

Regards

Robert

D

dubster72

Looks good to me Robert - I always use gauze bandage because the look of it fits 1/48 & 1/35

First Name
Richard
\ said:
Agree with Laurie there Peter.

but here is another one why bother painting it all camo, if you are roll it up anyway?

I always use military first aid bandages ( there already green or brown ) then i roll those to the size i want it, put on the straps and then i deside if i want to change the color.

If i put them directly on a vehicle, i paint them the desired color and let it dry.

I carefully mask the place where the net is going on the vehicle.

Then I make a diluted pva mix, put the net in it and after it is soaked I put it on the masked part of the vehicle and bring the details in and let it dry.

after drying for 1 or 2 days i take the net of and the masking and you have a perfect fit of the netting.

Hope it helps.

Cheers Richi

Robert,

Don't think the camo net needs to be the exact scale size compared to the real thing. By the time it's rolled up a little goes a long way.

Like Richi, I soak in diluted PVA and then place in the desired position on the vehicle to dry into 'shape' Just keep prodding and poking the bandage until it drapes over the model to your satisfaction. I use cling-film on the model to prevent the net sticking (and all that thinned PVA running everywhere.