Can you unstick stuck bits?

K

Keithmayes

Although I took great care to make sure the five Saturn V F1 engines were all glued on straight, they have somehow over the last couple of days managed to become wonkey. It isn't the end of the world, quiet, but I would really like to straighten them up. Can it be done?

L

Laurie

What glue or cement did you use Keith ?

If you used a cement which welds the plastic together your only hope is to cut it with a knife or saw it. Not tried it but i do know if you plaster plastic with to much glue it goes soft. But you may distort the plastic.

If it is glued with Super Glue you can un-hinge the pieces with a Super Glue Remover that is providing you can get into the joint.. It just soften the Super Glue.

Laurie

K

Keithmayes

I used Mr Cement S and find it brilliant stuff. As you say, my only real option is to try and cut off the two engines that have listed over and reattach them. However, due the shape and fixture points this isn't really practical. I have decided that as this fault is only visible when the rocket is unclamped and removed from the stand it is not worth the risk. Being realistic, it is not too obvious unless you are looking for faults, as I do.

Had there been a way of softening the join with a fluid of some description, I would have gone for that, but as it is, I'll let things be. Thanks for the advice Laurie.

L

Laurie

Yes it is always a difficult one Keith. Sometimes you can end up with a worse situation.

I always think is it so noticeable that any one other than me can see the problem. Even then it is very annoying.

Laurie

K

Keithmayes

Yes, it can be annoying. However, I have learnt a valuable lesson. Just because a join appears set and firm after a few hours does not mean it is. Next time I would not be so daft as to stand the rocket up on the engines. I initially thought it would keep the engines held firm. Wrong. Live and learn.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
It may not be an issue Keith. If you watch programmes showing Saturn V launches, you'll see the engines swivelling and rocking about so I'd guess they're built with some degree of movement allowed. Unless of course the movement is caused directly by the rocket thrust at launch.

K

Keithmayes

\ said:
It may not be an issue Keith. If you watch programmes showing Saturn V launches, you'll see the engines swivelling and rocking about so I'd guess they're built with some degree of movement allowed. Unless of course the movement is caused directly by the rocket thrust at launch.
You are spot on right. The engines do swivel on take off, it is to help steer the rocket away from the tower to avoid what would be a fatal collision. Thrusters also push the rocket away at an angle. The first 10 seconds of lift off are one of the most dangerous periods of the entire flight. Furthermore, if the engines stuttered and lost just enough power at lift off for the rocket to settled back down just a few inches, the engines would collapse on contact with the launch pad and result in a blast equivalent to 300 tons of TNT. No survivors. That is why mission control always announce when it has cleared the tower, because the astronauts can then start breathing again! So yes, on take off the engines are not straight, but I wanted them to be straight because it looks like a mistake otherwise. I know, I know, I'm getting too precious.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
\ said:
I know, I know, I'm getting too precious.
No such thing as too precious! We all want our kits to meet our own expectations of accuracy. I'm not sure if I've ever come across a builder who reckons their kit is perfect and has no faults!

K

Keithmayes

\ said:
No such thing as too precious! We all want our kits to meet our own expectations of accuracy. I'm not sure if I've ever come across a builder who reckons their kit is perfect and has no faults!
You've got a point there. Perfection is an ideal to aim for, it is not an expectation.