Candy apple red bf109 , Reno racer 1/72 scale What if?

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi all, after a long time not building anything, heres a little something ive done for a bit of fun to get my mojo back. This is a kind of 'what if?' of an old kit i had lying around. The kit is the frog bf109 in 1/72 scale that was left as a result of buying it just for the decals for the marseilles desert dio. I thought that the bf109f ,aerodynamically the cleanest 109, would make a great reno racer with a little modification , and who knows, if some had survived maybe they would have been quite competitive too. I altered the kit by clipping the wings,filling in the gun troughs,cutting down the rear fuselage and fitting a more streamlined canopy from the spares box (lavochkin la5).Finally a larger prop and pointed spinner ,a jazzy paint job and bobs your teapot ,an unlimited reno racer.I thought it would look nice to have it in flight, just rounding pylon No5 ,so made up the base and pylon and fastened it to it with a metal strip. I hope to get some more pics with a blue sky in the background but ill have to wait for some decent weather, anyway here are the pics, see what you think , cheers tony

View attachment 28764

View attachment 28765

View attachment 28766

View attachment 28767

View attachment 28768

View attachment 28769

View attachment 28770

View attachment 28771

View attachment 28772

P1080338 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1080335 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1080339 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1080334 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1080342 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1080337 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1080341 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1080340 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1080336 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

C

Caledonia

Hi Tony, nice to see you back in harness, inventive as ever. Love the gloss finish. Cheers Derek

Last edited:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Yo, mucker! Great to see you're back modelling.

Cracking job, simple, but bet your sweet dippy very effective!

Well done.

Ron

F

Fenlander

That is one classy conversion Tony, good to see you have not lost your touch. The idea of mounting it to the pylon is just superb. Very classy paint job to, nice one.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
What do I think? I think that's fantastic. I would have loved to have seen something like that for real.

You are not as far from reality as you might think. Two Bf109s were converted for speed record attempts and air racing,they were the Bf109V-13 and V-14. The V-14 was famously flown by Ernst Udet at the 1937 Dubendorf air races and it's colour is usually described as "wine red".

Cheers

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
That actually looks very good. Most beliveable too. Looks as if it could actually exist somewhere out there i Race land.

Love the idea with the pylon too! Come on admit it you thought about putting a motor in the pylon didnt you....

Five stars for a well considered what if!

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Lovely build Tony. Told you candy apple red would work. Now where is that blue spitfire to go with it? lol

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Thanks chaps, im just really into racers at the mo, who knows maybe a candy apple blue spit could be around the corner!!? (after the leopard print panzer of course!) cheers tony

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Oh I know do the spit in camo, but in high gloss metalics!!!

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Oh I know do the spit in camo, but in high gloss metalics!!!
A Spitfire owner did have a red Spitfire years ago. When asked by an affronted rivet counter why it wasn't painted accurately in camouflage his reply was "and what colour is your Spitfire?" Quite a polite way of telling him to F**k *ff I think!

Cheers

Steve

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
\ said:
A Spitfire owner did have a red Spitfire years ago. When asked by an affronted rivet counter why it wasn't painted accurately in camouflage his reply was "and what colour is your Spitfire?" Quite a polite way of telling him to F**k *ff I think!Cheers

Steve
:laughing:

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Tony, I missed this little gem! That's a smashing bit of modelling with a great paint job. Welcome back!

Gern

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
\ said:
Tony, I missed this little gem! That's a smashing bit of modelling with a great paint job. Welcome back!Gern
Thanks dave i put some more pics in another thread with a blue sky behind and even managed to photoshop one of them (after being shown in idiots terms by my son!!!!) cheers tony