Canopy masking help please

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi all
Need some advice please from experienced builders of wingy things. For Part 2 of the Starter Kit GB I have bought a set of canopy masks for my Vampire. I think the writing is Polish?

P1050853.JPG

P1050851.JPG

It looks at first glance as if I have 2 sets of identical canopy masks but on close inspection they are different. I am guessing that the left hand set is to mask outside and the right hand set is for the inside :thinking: Another thing I'm not sure of is the masking of the centre part of the canopy. The instructions seem to show that the masks fit around the edges and leave the centre area clear. Do they expect me to mask the centres myself with some Tamiya tape?

Any help would be most welcome. I have never used canopy masks before so it is all rather puzzling.

Thanks in advance.

Jim

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Yes, they expect you to fill in the centre with tape, or with Maskol.

Pete

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Thanks Pete
I thought that would be the case. I wondered why the middle section was just edges whereas the rear was complete pieces.
Jim

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
The middle part is probably curved in two directions so difficult to cover with a flat piece of tape.
Pete

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Pete
Just had a look and you are right. I think your idea of sticking on the edge bits and using masking fluid to fill in the centre is the way to go.
Thanks
Jim

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I think the writing is Polish?
If it looks Slavic and includes the letters w and/or ł, it’s pretty much sure that it’s Polish :smiling3: (Hardly any European languages have w in native words, except — off the top of my head — Polish, German, Dutch, Frisian, English and Welsh.)

I am guessing that the left hand set is to mask outside and the right hand set is for the inside :thinking:
Google Translate says that “Wewnętrzne części oszklenia” means “Internal parts of the glazing”, so I would say that your assumption is right. Added tip: you usually don’t need to try and type the accents for it to get the right translation anyway, though it’ll probably help if you do.)

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Thanks Jakko
I am glad to have my thoughts confirmed.
Jim

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Jim
Yes, you have inside and outside masks. Never used the inside ones myself, seems hard to line them up. I always paint over the masks as follows.....clear gloss coat (to seal against leakage). Interior cockpit colour coat (then shows inside), outer colour, varnish finish....

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Tim
Thanks for that. Good idea to paint interior colour so it shows inside. I suppose it it more important to do that if part of the canopy is to be shown open.
Jim

D

Deleted member 5496

A helpful tip with masks especially Eduard.

It is difficult, at least for me, to distinguish the parts from the remainder of the surrounding area.

I carefully remove the unwanted perimeter masking leaving just the parts required. Makes life much easier.

As you pull the perimeter away you will have to hold down some parts with tweezers to the backing. A bit
fiddly but well worth it.

Laurie

Last edited by a moderator: