Paul
You guys have been so helpful. Thank you all. So pleased I joined the forum. :D

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
\ said:
I am not a fan of Tamiya. Found in certain cases apart from canopies that Tamiya leaves a residue especially on matt paint.
Again, not ever noticed this. It must have a lot to do with the paints we use.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Yeah, sorry to go off topic so much Paul, but glad you are getting the information you are after. :smiling3:

W

Weeman0000

Not sure if its been suggested or not (too tired to read) but i was informed about maskol today and there's a vid on youtube about it and it does show it being used on a canopy to great effect.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000JCE6AO?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

Jason

L

Laurie

After trying a few types my thoughts on that Jason are. If you have a hand steady enough to paint on maskol you have a hand steady enough to paint the canopy framework.

Most maskols I have used with one exception are not easy to paint as they do not flow easily as paint does. I found it very difficult to get a straight line.

The exception I have found is Masque who do one with a nib type applicator the other a brush. Problem is with them they clog up if you do not quickly replace the stopper. Fo bits os masking where it is difficult, very tight rounded corners etc, Maskol does come in handy.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Masquepen-Masking-Fluid/dp/B0026A1W7W. Not many outlets. It is a Cottage Type Industry and my impression is they want to sell the stuff direct and thereby retain as much profit as possible. May be short sighted as it does not then get the publicity.

Laurie

PS intrigued by your occupation amusing. :D

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Masking is defo the way to go as a lot of other modellers do but I have found a new way to mask ( tip from Airfix model mag ) and that's to use bare metal foil it is similar to paint masks but you encase canopy and with sharp blade cut around the frames. Doesn't leave residue on canopy once removed and overpaint can be picked with toothpick. It's available on eBay and cheaper than aftermarket pre cut masks. It's a possible way forward

N

noble

I have very shaky hands and I find that humbrol maskol painted on, then lft to dry paint the canopy but before you just pull the masking fluid off go round the edges with a new shap no11 blade, once you've done this the maskol will come off without taking paint with it.

scott

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

Try using Tamiya masking tape and cutting out the frame with a sharp #11 blade along the framing. Alternatively, Eduard does masks for frames for basically every single aircraft around. Fast frames by true details are had to find, but are also a good alternative

John

D

Deleted member 4203

What I usually do is, once the plane is made, the last thing I do is paint the canopy, this is once its glued down, I get a fine brush ( Or an old one cut down to the right size) and paint it, but I make sure there is hardly any paint on the brush, if the paintbrush is almost dry but still has paint on it, do it in layers, hope this helps :P :D ;)