Castle Diorama - Lizard enclousre

First Name
Mike
Some very slow progress.
Lava river has been poured but did not work uit as expected. I should have used pigment nstead of ink. I will have to come up with a fix for it. Probalby removing supporting plastic sheet underneath to get more even ilumination and some surface work. Maybe getting it matt instead of glossy or painting with thin layer of pigmented epoxy. Not sure yet.
Next in line are bridge base rock blending, drawbridge, Tower's top and first floor flooring, bridge and gate tunnel surfacing.
Tower windows seem out of scale but I couldn't have smaller ones (I tried ones in arch like shape) as the lizard needs to be able to pass through.

IMG_20220907_171326.jpgIMG_20220907_172902.jpgIMG_20220907_171340.jpgIMG_20220907_172832.jpgIMG_20220907_173113.jpg

First Name
Mike
I tried applying a wash to the bridge but it endend in a disaster. I followed the youtube guides to create the wash - a drop of washing liquid and a drop of black paint same with brown and red. Then I put some brown and red patches. Then I sparayed some water on the bridge and applied the black wash thoughout with a brush. unfortunatley instead of getting the paint only in the recesses it painted whole bricks.
Any idea how to salvage it or is it a total loss? The only idea I have is to paint it in ivory an then try another wash with more water.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Washes don't normally work for building structures owing to their material which absorbs paint. The effects have to be literally painted with dark paint in the crevices and lighter on the raised areas.

For washes to work you have to have a non porous surface and to flow better a varnished surface.

Cheers,
Richard

First Name
Mike
Any idea how the end effect was achieved in the video below? The first wall finish would be perfect and exactly what I would like to achieve. Done with the same mould and also casted with plaster in buff. This is all the useful info I could get from the video. Unfortunately the creator stopped being active on youtube.

I have been also thinking about priming the walls with acrylic medium - would that make the washes work for the other buildings that I did not ruin yet?

I will try to paint dark te crevieces on the bridge with a tiny brush, then use half dry brush with ivory paint and then add some patches to make it look less uniform. Hopefully I will be able to salvage it.

Thank you
Best regards
Mike