Casual ship builder, colour question USS New Jersey WW2 fit.

M

Morlock

I haven't built many ships but lately I have been reading about battleships and decided to buy the old Monogram USS New Jersey kit. I am a bit confused about colour scheme. I have read that the colour scheme was a dark blue for horizontal areas and a lighter one for vertical.

I usually use Gunze paints, can anyone assist with best paints for this scheme if I am correct about the colour scheme at all?

Gary MacKenzie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gary

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Reading that second link, I find this pertinent info:
USS New Jersey (BB-62) was initially painted in dark single-color Camouflage Measure 21 and remained in this scheme for about two years. In June 1945 she was repainted in the horizontal "two-tone" Camouflage Measure 22, which she wore for the rest of the World War II era.
According to Wikipedia, measure 21 was “Overall Navy Blue (5-N), with decks in dark Deck Blue (20-B).”

Whereas, “measure 22 used Navy Blue low on the hull below the first continuous deck, with Haze Gray above that. Measure 22 used a straight horizontal boundary between the two colors rather than following the sheer of the main deck, making a characteristic gray "wedge" at the bow.” (Haze Gray is colour number 5-H.)

All you really need to do is decide which of the two schemes you like best, and then do a little research which model paint colours match 5-N, 20-B and/or 5-H.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Sovereign Hobbies are a good place to find the paint you need for this one...Problem is their site is down at the moment.
Other than being a good supplier of authentic paint colours, they have a good selection of paint schemes for ships.

M

Morlock

Sovereign Hobbies are a good place to find the paint you need for this one...Problem is their site is down at the moment.
Other than being a good supplier of authentic paint colours, they have a good selection of paint schemes for ships.

Thanks, is there a particular brand of paint I should look out for?

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
What it boils down to, really, is to pick one that you like the feel of. Different manufacturers will have different interpretations of what each of those colours actually looks like, and there are all sorts of other factors at play that will affect a colour’s appearance both in the real world and on a model. The simple way is to just buy some pots of model paint that claim to be the colour you need, from a brand you like (or want to try out).

M

Morlock

Thanks all, worked it out now from the links. That link from Dave Ward is really good too.