Centurion3RTR's "Ditched"

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Hi all, after a good long think about this build (and not forgetting the three models i brought :fool:smiling3: i've decided to pull something from my stash. I can't justify cutting into one of the new models as it's just a nice little kit (1937 Opel Olympia), and the other idea i had would't go with the rules (Gaz 67B on it's side in a river). But keeping with the water theme, i'm going to build the 1/72 scale Airfix Curtiss SB2C Helldiver thats just had to dich after an engine failure. I'll get some pic up of the kit when the camara is charged, thought i'd start the thread to give you the low down. Have fun, John

C

CDW

Had to look up what a Curtiss was i'll admit :smiling3: (more into helicopters than fixed wing)

Like the idea, should prove to be a interesting dio John.

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
C

CDW

now that i've got to sea ("sea" what i did there ...... ok .....coat time again :smiling3: )

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
\ said:
now that i've got to sea ("sea" what i did there ...... ok .....coat time again :smiling3: )
Colin can you get my coat while you're there lol

D

dubster72

I think you should just ' plunge ' right in on this one John, rather than just dip your toe into the water! Aah you're a great audience, I'm here all week!

Seriously, this idea sounds great & it'll be interesting seeing it take shape. On the pic of the stricken plane, does anyone else think that the guy on the wing is standing quite casually? Considering he's just pancaked into the sea & the plane could sink at any moment!

Cheers

Patrick

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
\ said:
I think you should just ' plunge ' right in on this one John, rather than just dip your toe into the water! Aah you're a great audience, I'm here all week!Seriously, this idea sounds great & it'll be interesting seeing it take shape. On the pic of the stricken plane, does anyone else think that the guy on the wing is standing quite casually? Considering he's just pancaked into the sea & the plane could sink at any moment!

Cheers

Patrick
To be honest Patrick i think he's getting his baloney sandwich out of the cockpit. 'Coat is on walkin' out the door'

Have fun, John

P

Polux

Very good news to know that John takes part in this SIG.

I like very much his idea and 'puzzle' me very much to know what will do for the sea, a diorama with a lot of future, I'm sure!

Regards

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Oh I like the look of that.

Good to have you on board, or in this case over board. TAXI!

Ian M

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Nice idea John, looking forward to seeing this come together.

Tony.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Wots this?

A 'tankie' taking to the skys! (Sort of)

Great stuff John and nice to see summat a bit more diverse.....

Sorry for the late response.

Cheers mate,

Ron

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Dude! what happened to that?!?!!? If its the same glue you always use with out problem, you might want to think about contacting the maker.

Ian M

PS put the T in the Diched as requested.

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Thanks Ian for the 'T' mate. Yeah same glue as always, i've sent an e-mail to Airfix so we'll see what happens. It think it just didn't like me though.

Have fun, John

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
After a few days sorting stuff out, like will the glue kill this kit too but it is safe to say 'We have a go for launch'. So what have i done, well, i've made a new canopy so i can have it open. Started putting some detail on the cowling, opened up the fuselage so the pilot can get out. Thats about it for now, hopefully i'll have some paint in the cockpit later today.

Have fun, John

View attachment 41894

View attachment 45282

DSCF7199.jpg

C

CDW

Shame you had to swap aircraft (no idea how the glue reacted that badly)

Still it'll make a good subject though, and the theme of the build's still there so alls good eh ? :smiling3:

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Had an e-mail back from Airfix saying 'Sorry, it looks like you have one of the bad plastic models'. And can we have your address so we can send some complimentary stuff out (please let it be the 1/24 scale Mosquito). Not bad then!!

Anyway, back to the build. The fuselage is together without any dramas this time, the wings are glueing as i write. Not much else really, it'll get more interesting when it starts sinking lol.

Have fun, John

View attachment 42020View attachment 42019

View attachment 45401

View attachment 45402

DSCF7200.jpg

DSCF7204.jpg

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Gawd' John, I hope it's not one of those 1/72 blue plastic 'Spitfire in a bag' thingys!!

Have fun waiting......

Ron