cessna c150, minicraft

M

m1ks

Got this one a good while ago and the intention was always to build this as G-BDSL of Phoenix flying school, netherthorpe, Yorkshire. The plane I used mostly during my ppl training, (the other being G-BEOK).The wings and upper front fuselage will be white, the lower and rear fuselage, dark blue with a red stripe bissecting them.

Kit is tiny for a 48th, moulding is nice, panel line detail nice and accurate, even down to the tiny flat 4 engine.

Fit is akin to early Airfix 72nd warbirds, I.e. not good, some fettling and filler have been necessary and a step by step approach for the fuselage as there are no locating pegs.

Here's the box art and sprue shots, more to come once I take some and get ready for priming.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I'll look forward to this.

How is it going with the PPL still on L plates or are you now legal.

Ian M

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looks a real nice kit mike. Its always great to see someone doing a kit that has a personal interest. If i'm delivering out thorpe salvin way we sometimes have our tacho break parked near the end of the grass runway at netherthorpe , its always a little bit scary to see the planes bouncing along the uneven strip!! Looking forward to seeing this come together, cheers tony

M

m1ks

It's a lovely little grass strip down there, surprisingly smooth when you're rolling on it, I think the C150 is a very forgiving on grass though, it's the shortest licensed runway (grass or otherwise) in the UK, or was when i was there a few years ago.

Sadly Ian I had to put the whole thing aside due to the birth of my son and relocation, (mainly relocation, i could have cut down to twice monthly for the lessons rather than weekly but the nearest flying school now is 2 hours away)

I was about 11 hours in and close to my first solo, which was terrifying just to contemplate, I remember how nerve wracking it was landing singlehandedly the first time, the instructor was sitting with folded arms giving me the odd prompt on approach, that was about 5-6 hours of flying time and man I was sweating so much i'm surprised there wasn't a puddle in my seat.

Takeoff, and flight, I loved it, though when your instructor gives you helpful advice like, 'don't forget your hedge checks pre takeoff' (as in get them wrong and we're nose first in the hedge) and 'it's a bit cold this morning we might need to take a brush to the leading edge of the wings and get the ice off from the last flight' it can make you momentarily pause, :smiling3:

I would love to take it up again and still have my flight log book and confuser, (manual), I'd be happy to just do the Microlight license and have one of those, (no hangarage fees, just disassemble and trailer away), :D

Tony, you should treat yourself to a trial flight, the guys at Phoenix are great and very friendly, it is fun to see them take off just above you beyond the hedge isn't it, often used to meet a friend from Kiveton after the lesson and have a wander over there to watch them take off and land for half hour while we caught up.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
For my 40th birthday I was going to go up in the tiger moth that the guy sometimes takes people up in but he wanted £140 for a 10 min flight!! I'd love to have a trial lesson though , i bet its great

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nice one Mike. Always nice if you can produce something that is relevant to your own experiences. I always enjoyed the 150/152 series, great and tough little aeroplanes that never let you down. Students could land hard, throw them around and even spin them quite safely.