CGS Military Figures 1/16 Grenadier

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

100_7111.JPG

My next figure will be this new(ish) offering by Laurent Borget for CGS Military Figures - a young SS Grenadier on the Eastern Front. He's wearing a camo smock, but I think I'm ready to endure painting that this time.

CGS tend to cast to order, and though that means some slight delay in delivery, what you get in the box is fresh and clean:

100_7112.JPG100_7113.JPG

This is beautifully sculpted, with finely modelled equipment, and the casting is excellent. There is a choice of two heads, with, thoughtfully, two helmets provided so that one can go on the figure and one can accompany the other into the spares box.

There are two sections to the base:

100_7114.JPG

I probably won't use the wall section, as it's a bit heavy and unwieldy. Also provided is a strip on metal foil for the rifle strap.

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Nice choice Pierre.Mr CGS goes to Euro and is ex Marine bandsman.Does some interesting stuff.
Pew pulled up before the masses assemble.
Richard.

Reactions: JR
D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Richard. Yes, Graham at CGS comes across as a nice chap - I also bought an Imperial Guardsman bust from him at the same time.

This is ready for paint:

100_7115.JPG

A quick and easy build.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
Never heard of the company or the sculptor but it does look rather well done.
He's wearing a camo smock, but I think I'm ready to endure painting that this time.
You must be feeling better :tongue-out3:
Jim

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Jim - CGS produce some very nice figures and busts. The only one I've made before is Laurent Borget's
Panzer Lehr. I enjoyed doing that, so I was pleased to see this one appear on their lists.

Two attempts at the head, and we have this:

100_7119.JPG

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter,

Camo, ohhhhh, that will be worth watching.

Good start with the head and a spare too, things are getting better.

Looks like you will have fun today, will you start on the front then the back?

Could you call out the colours you use too?

The choices of camo are almost unlimited with reverse Spring/Autumn and all the smocks that were used.

The troops would need a substantial travelling wardrobe to keep them all in!!!

Work outside in the garage and in the attic has hit a below reasonable working temperature, so will be on hold until it warms up again!!

I was getting so close, but can at least get the stash logged on Scale Mates.

From what we hear on the news, garages and attics throughout the UK/World are being spruced up, with all the spare time on peoples hands!

Have a good day with the camo, it looks intriguing

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Morning Steve

Slight delay to the camo - see below. I may do an alternative pattern, as it's very hard to shade the tighter patterns like Plane Tree - perhaps Italian?

Sunny, but cool here this weekend too - needless to say our attic remains untouched.

So, back to the figure, and I've changed the head:

100_7120.JPG100_7123.JPG100_7121.JPG

There was a problem with the right eye on the kit head. I painted the whole thing twice, spent a couple of hours in the evening trying to sort it out, but this morning it looked awful to my fresher eye. I'd done the best I could with it, but it was going to spoil the whole thing, so I dug out this old Verlinden ACW Union soldier alternative. It needed a slight haircut, but I think it works well.

Used up today's painting juice, so on to the camo tomorrow.

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
As usual I couldn't see what was wrong with the old head,Peter, but I do think this does look better actually

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Neil. It was one I couldn't live with, so I'm pleased that this one has worked out.

D

Deleted member 6559

aad16b71c590b9e0eee5abf068185385.jpg

I found a colourised photo of some SS troops in France 1944 (note how young some of them are). The man with the bandaged head is wearing an Italian camo smock, as is one the one immediately to his right. Another is wearing Italian camo trousers, so I think that's what I'll do:

ww2-german-italian-camo-smock-lw-elite-s-m-l_1_aee2cd80f55fd02901ed9e1940b56d82.jpg

The broader pattern means that it's easier to get some decent shading going.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Super research skills and a great reference for your upgraded head,

Nice one..

Shading on camo is certainly an issue which I have thought about at times, but as a 1:35 modeller it is usually covered by a wash!!

I have seen the base colour fully shaded before any other colour has been applied, then just a single highlight and shadow to only the larger patches with a wash, again making up for a more detailed paint job.

Its a bigger challenge that I could deal with at the moment.

The Italian camo does look good, so its going to be a camo day, have fun

Another bright but cool one, so probably no work in the garage or attic, again!

Have a good day on the camo

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Morning Steve

Girding my loins ready to tackle the camo. I think I know how I'm going to do it, but I'm prepared for difficulties.....

Dull and cool here, which is fine if you're not allowed out anyway (captivity is getting to me).

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Steve

Girding my loins ready to tackle the camo. I think I know how I'm going to do it, but I'm prepared for difficulties.....

Dull and cool here, which is fine if you're not allowed out anyway (captivity is getting to me).

Me too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its only week 7 starting tomorrow!!

its only 1/2 way through.....................................

Bugger!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Getting to me as well, I’m actually starting to look forward to my fortnightly blood tests, and even they are about to go monthly.....
This one is looking good Peter....and I couldn’t see anything wrong with the first head either....

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Not sure what was wrong with the first head but you know best. However the second offering is certainly better. Good luck with that camo

D

Deleted member 6559

Steve H - It's my eldest daughter I feel sorry for - stuck in a small flat on her own with an 18 month old.

Tim - That's a good idea, blood tests! I do need a diabetes check up as it happens. Seriously, though, I wouldn't bother my GP at this difficult time. The first head had dodgy eyes.

Stevie J - It's a case of what you can live with in the long-term - that head would have niggled.

D

Deleted member 6559

After quite a long session, we have this:

100_7137.JPG100_7139.JPG100_7140.JPG100_7138.JPG

The base colours for the camo were; German Uniform for the green, Chocolate Brown highlighted with Red Leather, and Japanese Uniform. All were considerably lightened with Off White, and Camo Black Brown was used for the deeper shadows.

Last edited by a moderator: