Challenger 2

W

wmar1967

There are some fantastic models on these boards! Simply outstanding work - makes me wonder what exactly I'm meant to do with my Challenger 2.

I had a terrible time trying to get a proper colour (I don't mix and couldn't find the right ready mixed colour) and ended up with Humbrol 121 Pale Stone...as close as I could get and it was the 3rd time I had started to paint the model, changing the colour each time, so I was losing patience.

Anyway - I have no idea how to take this forward. I wasn't looking forward to AFV's because they seem to require so much more work...so this is it in progress.

Started with this colour and thought "noooooo"

URL=http://s1160.photobucket.com/user/wmar1967/media/Models/Trumpeter%201-35%20Challenger%20II/20130922_210222_zpsd5f81c3f.jpg.html][/url]

I've been putting off completing this because I know the end means weathering and "finishing off" and I simply don't have the courage...but I realise I'll need to start somewhere. I do have a book that might help.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Looks good so far Billy. There are a number of armour fans here who build and paint excellent models. If you need advice they will help you out with techniques and advice if you need it. Just ask away.

First Name
rob
take your time mate. your build is spot on. once painted and sealeed , start weathering really really gradual with thinned acrylic. build up your weathering nice and slow.....starting light and then darker into your shadows. the best results are always the subtle ones so dont be tempted to do much with each coat. as for the build, its very neat and precise..youll be fine bill.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Billy, I wouldn't get up tight about the correct colour....bear in mind the operating conditions of the real thing will have a bearing on the colour...wear and tear, the sun's effect etc.

Get the thing painted as close as possible to the right colour, then take it from there regarding finishing and weathering.

Take a look at other Challenger tanks on here. Ask questions, but don't worry or loose patience.

Your model looks well, so keep in mind this modelling lark is supposed to be fun.

Ron

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Nice work billy and thanks to the others it's saved me a long post :smiling3:

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Look, Andy Murray is having a good gander at it so it can't be all that bad... :D

Seriously, that is a good build and the paintwork doesn't look too bad at all. Can only echo what others have said, take your time, and have fun. Once you have weathered the tank you will see a different change in the paint scheme so don't worry about the paint colour.

Nice build...I really like it.

Si:smiling3:

W

wmar1967

Some more

Build - wise she's near completion. There's a couple of small bits to put on. Unfortunately the carpet monster (I believe it's referred to as that!) ate one of the "holders" for my front "bulldoser" part (I don't know what it's called) but - I'm not too bothered. I like the look of it off anyway.

Once I get the final pieces on, there are some small parts that need a touch up with paint where I missed or wasn't as thorough and then - weathering!

P

Plastickitbasher

Billy it's looking very good so far, like the others have said take your time and don't rush it.

V

Vajled

nice one... I like moder armour... and challenger is one of my fav

good work so far

Roman