Challenger ARRV

Isitme

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
20210513_161003.jpg
Next build is the Challenger ARRV offering from Accurate Armour. For those that are not familiar, these are basically all resin kits/conversion models where you use a donor kit mainly for the lower hull/running gear. I believe the earlier models were in a grey/green resin and later went over to the light grey. Plus you get an etch brass fret for items like side skirts etc. The instructions do leave a lot to be desired, and what I did was to scan each page and then resize it to A4 size for printing which does help. I will be using a set of Fruil tracks for a Mk 1 Challenger as these fit in with the period I am modelling.
So on with the build, the main component is the hull top,
20210513_161409.jpg
20210513_161420.jpg
When you first get these resin kits it is a good idea to make sure they are sitting square on all four corners. It is no hardship the level the moulded hull top, just let it sit in hot water, I use hot water and with washing up liquid in it to wash the moulded part(s) as well. Once the hull is softened then stand it on a flat surface with enough weight on top to level and then allow to cool either by pouring cold water over the hull top or allow to air dry. Other items can be warmed with a hair dryer to achieve the same result.
And onto this you add the rear end,
20210513_161434.jpg
With first a sligh sanding on the mating surfaces for a good joint. then c/a'd together. and put aside to dry. I give this joint a good dose of the c/a and then put it aside to cure.
While this is going through the hardening process I then prepare the lower hull, in this case from a Challenger 1 as the final drive is different from a Challenger 2.
20210513_161349.jpg
As you can see the idler wheel mounts are in place plus a suspension arm on all four corners ready for when the model is on a base and all the wheels can then be made to touch where they should.
I also have a box of spare parts from the donor kit...
20210513_161027.jpg
And a stack of Challenger 2 etch brass if I need extra.
20210513_163952.jpg
So the next thing to do is to get on with the build.
Cheers,
Mike.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I believe the earlier models were in a grey/green resin
That’s correct, either that or (if I’m not mistaken) the yellow colour Verlinden also used. I have a couple of unbuilt AA kits on the shelf (M114 and FV 432) in that strange shade of green, however, just checking my old photos, a built one (Strv 103) that I bought 20 years ago was in grey much like yours. Seems they changed a few times.

The instructions do leave a lot to be desired, and what I did was to scan each page and then resize it to A4 size for printing which does help.
I just checked their site to see if they maybe have PDFs of their instructions, but they don’t seem to. Having something like that would make it much easier, but without, scanning and printing sounds like a good solution.

I also have a box of spare parts from the donor kit...
You could make a bogged-down tank from that, for a diorama with the ARRV next to it …

Reactions: JR

Isitme

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Update,
Work has now started seriously. The open areas above the tracks have now been filled in with sheet plastic card and c/a'd into place. Not a lot of them will be seen once the running gear and side plates are in place.
20210514_153925.jpg

I have test fitted the beam over the engine deck to see if all is well - jury are still out on the pistons as they are not quite round, more egg shaped, so i think they will be going.
20210514_153845.jpg
But the stowage boxes/cages are going to be rebuilt from this....
20210514_154010.jpg
20210514_154022.jpg
To this...
20210514_154033.jpg
20210514_154048.jpg
And that is where I am today, more tomorrow,
Mike.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
  • Haha
Reactions: JR

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Coming on nicely.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Big fan of Accurate Armour. Looking forward to seeing how the build goes together. I have my shades ready for all that bling. Good luck my friend

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Mike
Watching with interest from a chair away from the rabble. I just couldn't concentrate on the build with cake crumbs and icing flying about.
Jim

therapy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Nick
Tagging along in the hope of some skills rubbing off on me. Not to mention my need for cake - that remains constant...

Nick

Graeme C.

SMF Supporter
First Name
Graeme
I remember when we were building these at Barnbow, they needed a few modifications from the way Vickers Newcastle had designed them...
I'm in Mike.