Challenger with enhanced armour.

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Finally I have come around to build my first Challenger 2.
I have had all the bits and pieces for some time and have decided to build up this version.
But, the Tamiya kit does not have the anti slip texture, so you are left to your own devices. And mine was to use the fine MIG anti-slip paste for 1/72 scale rather than the coarse 1/35 paste. This was followed up with a dusting of 'Hull Tex' texture sand put on while the paste was still wet. I did try the Rustoleum product on a scrap model, but found out of two tins the firs gave a gasp and that was it, and the second sprayed either full blast or just a whisper... Needless to say it was worth a try, but i would not want it on a model I was going to build.
So, here are the bits minus the AA bar armour, which has been put away to prevent damage.
chalgoods.jpg
The goodies for applying the anti-slip...
nonslip2.jpg
And the results so far...
nonslip3.jpg
You could mask of the whole model and then add the paste, but I have chosen to work a little at a time.
One thing I have found on the kit is that the rear of the turrte rubs on the 'rubber' bar before the engine deck - this will need lifting about half a mm or more for clearance.
More later,
Mike.

Road of Bones

Cat slave
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alistair
This should be a belter. Nice work on the anti-slip Mike :thumb2:
When I first returned to the hobby, this was one of the first kits I obtained. I painted it in Tamiya XF59 with a brush- that’s when I discovered that the modern version of Tamiya paints were utter bobbins for brush painting, and that XF 59 is really too dark for Brit armour. It now languishes in a dusty box at the bottom of a wardrobe...:flushed:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Definitely in for this. Love your builds. VMS has some very interesting products. Just ordered some of their stuff to try.
Jim

Reactions: JR

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
This should be a belter. Nice work on the anti-slip Mike :thumb2:
When I first returned to the hobby, this was one of the first kits I obtained. I painted it in Tamiya XF59 with a brush- that’s when I discovered that the modern version of Tamiya paints were utter bobbins for brush painting, and that XF 59 is really too dark for Brit armour. It now languishes in a dusty box at the bottom of a wardrobe...:flushed:
Alistair,
I know the feeling, I have a Challenger 1 still in the process and still under the bench - Oh! the shame....

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Definitely in for this. Love your builds. VMS has some very interesting products. Just ordered some of their stuff to try.
Jim
Hello Jim,
If you are getting the Hull Tex, it also comes with the cement, as a two part pack. Make sure that the area is wet before applying the sand which is in a 'puffer' bottle. And allow it to dry before shaking off the excess and then any missed areas can be rectified with more cement and sand. Once happy then allow to dry and go over again with the cement just by touching the brush and letting it flow, no need to brush it on.
Mike.

D

Deleted member 7237

Hi Mike ready for another lesson, note book at the ready, let the magic begin.
Pete.

Reactions: JR

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Hi Mike ready for another lesson, note book at the ready, let the magic begin.
Pete.
That's what I like, glutton for punishment. Not a lot happening at the moment, just getting the non slip done and then it can go away and dry out befor I do any more work there, but plenty of brass to go on with...
Mike

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi Mike.
Right get the dog out of my chair !
In for this, like VMS stuff, their flesh CA for example is spot on.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Another MikeC master class! Lots of goodies to get your teeth into. Good luck

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
In for the build Mike. This was the first kit I built when I started in the hobby 3 years ago. I still look at it from time to time to see how my skills have progressed since. :smiling3:

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
In for the build Mike. This was the first kit I built when I started in the hobby 3 years ago. I still look at it from time to time to see how my skills have progressed since. :smiling3:
Bob,
Welcome, I do that with a Chieftain I built when I first retired , the memories of the struggles...
Mike

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Update,
Have done a little bit more to the non slip, seems to be taking forever to mask and then apply. But not much more to do. The worst of the masking is now done.
Mike.
nonslip4.jpg

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Count me in Mike

Just bought this kit as my first ever modern tank. So watching and learning!

Bob

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Ian,
John,
Bob,
Welcome to you all, and thak you for joining.
Mike.