Challenger with enhanced armour.

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Evening Mike,
Hope all is good with you and yours.
Liking the base, Challenger looks great with some paint on, that bar armour looks amazing :cool:
Morning Si,
We are fine, hope the same for you and yours. Getting close to the end now and keep waiting for the rear bar armour to fall off when putting the tracks on.
Mike

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Mike
I really like that for a base. Just goes to show that something quite simple can be great when well done.
Jim

Road of Bones

Cat slave
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alistair
I was wondering how you were going to tackle the issue of track-fitting Mike! Can’t say I envy you the threading job you have ahead, let alone trying to join the ends together:anguished:

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Hi Mike
I really like that for a base. Just goes to show that something quite simple can be great when well done.
Jim
Hi Jim,
SWMBO keeps telling me I'm simple, so got to keep up the tradition :tongue-out3:.
Mike.

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
I was wondering how you were going to tackle the issue of track-fitting Mike! Can’t say I envy you the threading job you have ahead, let alone trying to join the ends together:anguished:
Alistair,
It nearly came to blows!!! The first side I put on minus the middle 4 roadwheels and return rollers went very much to plan. Then came the second set, so clever here thought, okay put the roadwheels and return rollers in place and then fit the tracks - well I huffed and I puffed, I grunted and groaned, do you think they would go past the return roller. So off came the roller, up went the blood preasure and on the tracks went. The joining was easy, and that was where I expected the trouble to be. But they are on and staying on.....
If you do a Challenger, and use the seperate track links, The quoted number is 76, but you could get away with 74 or 75.
It has now had a wash in AK enamel wash for NATO vehicles to tone down that green, but I had to thin it down to about 80% thinners and then the non slip was just drinking it! So all told very happy with the result. Just got the final weathering to add and a few bits then job finished.
Cheers,
Mike.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Feeling your pain on the tracks Mike. Just done a set on my latest build with 40 links of equal length on each side and both sets of bogies exactly the same in length. However the metal links on one set was 2mm shorter than the other meaning the choice of having to add another link, gently stretching the track out or pushing in the drive wheel a couple of mm. The joys of doing AFV's!!. However it was worth all the hassle as your finished build looks the DB's.

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Feeling your pain on the tracks Mike. Just done a set on my latest build with 40 links of equal length on each side and both sets of bogies exactly the same in length. However the metal links on one set was 2mm shorter than the other meaning the choice of having to add another link, gently stretching the track out or pushing in the drive wheel a couple of mm. The joys of doing AFV's!!. However it was worth all the hassle as your finished build looks the DB's.
Steve,
Very true, have not learned yet to ignore the reccomended length and always finish up like the fat lady with the back of her skirt tucked in her pants - loads of slack at the top....