Challenger with enhanced armour.

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Update on comments.
WOW! that was a lot. So i am not going to send you all 'likes' and 'luvs' or whatever the modern idiom is.
But going to say Thank you to you all, and they are inspiring when the eyes go funny from sorting out all the brass and things go wrong which they have....
Cheers, stay safe and well,
More later.
Mike.

tanktrack

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
great work Mike what are the brass cages measuring out at ie the brass strips size ?

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
great work Mike what are the brass cages measuring out at ie the brass strips size ?
Hi Steve,
Thickness is about 10 to 15thou thick and 1.5 mm width. On the photo below I have put a rule in for scale.
Mike.

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Quick update.
More work done on the slat, and this is the work so far on the centre section, this is all loose sections that move freely, but at the moment just a work in progress shot for you. I now have seven done as of this afternoon.
slat5.jpg
Just got to give the eyes a rest after two sections....
eyes.jpg
Cheers,
Mike.

Last edited:

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Update,
The rear centre slat is now finished and in surface primer, would I be cruel enough to show it primed....
rearslatfin.jpg
Naw!.
The items ringed were for my benefit as these parts required straightening, all the rest are just loose and all fall straight when the slat is verticle, and the best way to check was to photograph the back face and put the image through photoshop. This image is about 4 times the size of the original part.
Cheers,
Mike.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Terrific work Mike. Will you straighten them before or after painting?

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Terrific work Mike. Will you straighten them before or after painting?
They were all done before the surface primer went on, tried using the Mk.1 eyeball but that did not work, so put the pic into photoshop to blow it up and see if there were any problems, and came out with these points.
Now working my way around the hull finishing off the brass etc and then onto the turret....
Mike.

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
l'll be damned.....WOW well done Mike... wonderful

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Ooooh fabbyoso !

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Update,
The brass/detail work on the hull is now finished.
hullbrs6.jpg
And now for the holiday snaps....
hullbrs5.jpg
Bar armour on the left rear, and tail light assembly.
hullbrs4.jpg
More of the same.... You can just make out the right side frame for the centre bar armour frame (grey square).
hullbrs3.jpg
Sorry for the blurred image, but here you cna see the screen wash pipe on the right and the electric cable for the wipers.
hullbrs2.jpg
Headlight assembly with new brackets and light clamps, horn, the bolt shaft going into the reactive armour frame, conduit for the lights and the white object is the bottom of the indicater/turn signal to be added later after paining.
hullbrs1.jpg
The oblong hole on the centre of the pic is for the mirrors, this will be added after painting so i do not ruin the mirror finish. Ahead of that is the bracket for the cam pole and to the right is the chain for the pin for the tow cable. The front dust shroud will be cut down as it was in the desert due to damage ripping it away.
Tomorrow I will build up the comms cable reel and frame, and then start work on the turret details.
Thanks for looking and dropping by.
Mike.