Cat slave
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alistair
”...Bring me my PE of burning gold,
Bring me my scalpel of desire,
Bring me my Meng kit, given, not sold,
I’ll build a Chariot of Fire...”

Yes, time for me to wax lyrical about IDF machines again...after a pair of Sh’ot Kals, a Nagmachon, a Magach 6B Gal and a D9R dozer, i am drawn to the eternal conflict once more (Mostly because their vehicles are such fantastic modelling subjects, to be honest!).
172CFB24-10D3-4BC3-B7A2-DD0878642A4F.jpeg
(my Magach 6B build, one of my favourites)

Those of you who remember a certain Devonian hobbit with a fondness for Cider, AC/DC, and the colour green, will recall a man with tremendous generosity of spirit. It was this very fellow who, unprompted, dropped a Meng Merkava IIID through the post to me a year or so back. He’d cut a few wheels off sprues, and misplaced the fret of poly caps, and decided that the subject wasn’t for him, but that I would probably enjoy it- bless the man!

This is one that I started a few months ago, and I add a bit here & there when I get time. Now I have joined you lot, the mojo is starting to spark again, and I fancy pushing it on.

So- the kit:
E1A214E1-DDEB-4BDD-92FD-54BA82E80133.jpeg
One of Meng’s earlier kits, but still a goody. I obtained the Eduard PE set, some Chinese Fruils and the ET model PE side-skirts for it over a few months. I also scored the most excellent Desert Eagle book of the Merkava Siman IIID for reference.
So, a few progress pics to get you up to speed:
008E3D0A-2BFA-4DF8-A084-EB4894E25BBD.jpeg
I filled in the crew stowage baskets with liners made from the fingertips cut from nitrile gloves, and added the tie-downs using strips of foil from a packet of scalpel blades. I really couldn’t be arsed sanding off the barrel clamps on the kit one, so made my own barrel from brass tube instead, before adding the PE clamps.
4CE995FE-C3C4-4F3B-9F58-E9743338E291.jpeg
Detailing the rear of the hull- here you can see the crew stowage bins in position. I added a tarp roll, and the PE mudguards from the Eduard set. The rear crew hatch actually opens btw.
BE0F9B5F-D76F-4D16-8B8B-46EE2C6AA3CD.jpeg
The forward hull and turret dry-fit- here are the front PE mudguards, you can also just see the PE covers for the various grilles around the front of the hull (remember that the Merkava’s engine is in the front, unlike Western vehicles). These are for “LIC” (Low Intensity Conflict, or Urban warfare) situations, and prevent enemy combatants from chucking molotovs into the grilles.
Tomorrow, I’ll get on to the turret detailing- hope you’ll follow along!

Alistair☠️

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
Merkava...chariot (with horses) in biblucal hebrew...i was and l am huge fan of IDF..l light start one in the near future...keep it coming

Road of Bones

Cat slave
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alistair
Good to see so many willing to ride the Chariot with me! (thanks to Greg for the translation- saved me having to do it! :hungry: ). Some new faces for me as well, which is a real bonus! Thanks for your support chaps:thumb2:

I’ll come back to the hull later, but first I’d like to get the mojo-sapping bit of the build out of the way- namely the RPG screen around the turret bustle. This consists of a skirt of fairly heavy chain, weighted down by steel balls.
The Meng kit provides this in the form of evenly-moulded panels of balls & chains, that looked really rather unconvincing. I sourced some necklace chain from the web, and a packet of lead-free fishing weights, and decided to see if I could make my own:
00B0D063-19EE-462C-A767-703C284D992E.jpeg
561F10A9-AF72-4C7C-86A2-14070E3CCFFD.jpeg
The PE set has perforated brackets from which to hang your chains, and I used fine florist’s wire to join each ball & chain to the brackets. This was taking absolutely ages, and was unbelievably fiddly. I stalled out for several weeks, as once you have a couple of chains attached, they start getting in the way of fitting more. It wasn‘t until I hit on the idea of holding the bracket straight in my etch-bending tool, that I was able to quickly thread all the remaining chains without manipulation problems...et voilà!
B9C4AE0D-4358-4060-BCE3-8B06B24B4AAF.jpeg
One RPG screen, which swishes about most satisfactorily! You can also see some of the turret PE applied, such as the signal smoke canister holders and the track-hanging hooks.
Some more turret work here:
2F1A6A26-BA05-4D52-A79C-0583F75DA002.jpeg
and another view:
B49E8C7D-B409-4B94-8057-8EC67177AAD7.jpeg
you can see some more of the hull PE here, particularly the LIC screens over the vents.
Next up, I decided to see what the Chinese Fruils were like. I can report that not only are they cheaper, but they require no drilling, and come with some excellent stiff wire to make the pins (not dissimilar to my preferred method of using old guitar strings instead of the soft brass wire that Fruils provides. I managed to make both track runs in no time at all:
9AA418A0-ABB1-42E0-ADAE-3CC29DAAA2C9.jpeg
Not only that, but the wire is such a good fit, I required no glue whatsoever. Two thumbs good!

More soon, thanks for looking.
Alistair☠️

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Hello Alistair,
Cracking build...
Now that you have the mind numbing chains build up and done, there is actually a set you can buy....
But I shall sit here quietly...
Cheers,
Mike.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Great detailing Alistair. I'm glad the tracks worked out well. If you could PM where you got them from that would be much appreciated

Road of Bones

Cat slave
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alistair
Thanks gents- good to have your input :thumb2:

MikeC- I was dimly aware someone made an AM set, but frankly the ones I made cost me a couple of quid in money (lots more in time though). I have a HobbyBoss Merk 3D in the stash, and that has a rather nice set of balls & chains too. The moulded ones in the Meng kit were crap, frankly.

Jim- neither had I! The kit has a set of indy links in brown plastic, but they don’t form a workable track, they need glueing, and I just didn’t fancy doing the 2-part track runs this time around (though I may regret it when it comes to fitting these weighty buggers!).

Bob, Steve- PMs inbound...

Ok then, some more pics of turret detailing- mainly around the upper hatches to begin with:
65271E7C-BFFF-4C4E-B10D-1C9BD9D05212.jpeg
I have painted the clear periscopes with a little clear green on the angled face, so the colour shows through the vision face more naturally. Obviously already masked ahead of paint! Some more of the PE detailing is visible here too, as well as some grab handles I made from wire instead of the kit’s plastic ones.
1E4D2A1A-9E1C-4486-A7C6-031B1FD1B711.jpeg
And from t’other side- I am not sure what that cage thing is, other than the fact that it was a bit of a swine to form around the domed part it protects!
Next up, I turned my attention to the smoke dischargers. The kit provides options for having them closed, with a tin lid,or open. However, the open version has no lids, which my refs show hinged one one side. I made these from thin card, and added the control wires as well:
A83D07F7-8CEE-42D3-9A5D-B949FAD52186.jpeg
7E403233-7CF2-4AC3-98E1-26B9E4AE0B19.jpeg
Here are the Kung Fruils finished:
9CB81F5C-05E6-4762-8478-A93CB4E4100E.jpeg
That’s all for now chaps! More soon...
Alistair☠️

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Bugger, I'm going to have to buy one now, this is too nice. :smiling3:

Is all the PE included or is it AM?

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Evening Al,

Absolutely fabulous work on the Merk so far Sir. Your etching and little details are first class. I am a little concerned about one thing though.

Hanging your balls on a turret is a bit over the top I think. We'll send matron over to your house to insure your meds are at the right dosage and bring everything back to normal. Don't worry!!!

Prost
Allen