Chat thread for this GB: Fw190 & Ta152

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

Yes, it's a great kit - I have that too. Their Dauntless is also quality.
I bought the BIG Dora knowing it's faults, I mean it's the only game in town in that scale so there's no choice. Trumpeter produce some Jaw dropping stuff 1/200 Bismarck, 1/48 U-boat as well as there expanding 1/24 aircraft range. They could (and should) improve their research into some subjects but there's also part of me that thinks they get a disproportional amount of flak for their efforts. Without them there'd be quite a gap in the kit list. And some of their less accurate examples can be brought up to date and build into decent models - I've seen countless great Trumpeter MkV and MkVb Spitfires (a few I've seen on this forum!) and I really like the result I got with their 1/32 Ju87B-2.
Yes Trumpy have their faults but there are few manufacturers (if any) that can claim to be completely accuracy free anyway.

Do you think I should build the Big Dora?
Definitely. But yes, trumpeter cop a lot of unnecessary flak. I did a 109G-2 in 1/32 (with am aires cockpit, eduard PE, Brassin Engine) and managed to pull off a really nice model. Even without the extras it was a really good kit.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Ops My bad. I will fix that.
:oops:

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I think the only kit trumpeter nailed was their 1/32 Me 262A-1a. Got one in the stash with a BIG ED set and it looks so good

Yes the 262 is a good kit but it is not the only one the 'nailed'...

The other Trumpeter kits in 1/32 scale that are almost to Tamiya standard are:
The Fairy Swordfish, Dauntless, Avenger and the MIG3
I would thoroughly recommend all of those.

Some like their Wildcat too though I found the cockpit to be very poorly fitting.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I have my TA152 lined up to start in a week or so once the Avenger is done...

Last edited:
First Name
Wouter
mmm...darn, I don't have a FW otherwise I'd have gladly joined! Gonna watch with interest, that's for sure ^^

Cheers

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
If I can finish the Spitfire, this was up next:
P1140584.JPG
so count me in!

Pete

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Well, I came across this GB by accident - I was confused by the dates, as I think others were, anyway I'll chip in with this..............
eduard fw 190d late.jpg
Not really sure when I'll start, as I have a queue forming at my bench..............
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
This isn't admissible for this GB, as I'd started this a while ago, to use as a test piece, for my new 0.2mm airbrush ( from the Scale Model Shop ), and to attempt to use it for mottling - beats a bit of sponge in tweezers, one of the old school mottling methods.HB Test piece.jpg
This is the HobbyBoss Ta 152 C-11, in 1/48. You can pick this up for a good price - which is why I chose it as a test piece!. Better to make a rickets on the cheap model, than the expensive ( for me! ) Eduard boxing. - I may not even finish this......
The airbrush works well, spraying at 1bar, I used MiG RLM 81 & 82 over RLM 76 - sprayed without thinning which just about worked, the 82 could have had a few drops of water added, but managed to finish. It needs a very light touch on the trigger, and using the needle lift stop is a great help - but more practice is needed.............
Dave

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Am i to late to join this GB?

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Cool. Thanks Polux

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I think the only kit trumpeter nailed was their 1/32 Me 262A-1a. Got one in the stash with a BIG ED set and it looks so good
I agree the Trumpy Me262 is a good kit but they have brought out some other superb kits as well. I would include their Dauntless, Avenger, Swordfish and Yak3 as outstanding as well.

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
If nobody minds, I’ll add this one to the FW flight line when completed:
20190119_151605_resized.jpg
Build tread coming right up…

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Excellent choice Fernando. Looking forward to seeing it built