Cheap airbrushes for primer?

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I've seen a few mentions of people keeping a cheap airbrush for primer and a better one for painting, and wondered if there's a good reason. Surely you need a good finish on your primer, and if your cheap airbrush gives a good finish, why have a more expensive one? Similarly, your 'best' a/b won't be harmed by spraying primer so why use the cheap one?
Pete

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Could it be that primers are used solely to cover large areas fast, while painting involves finer detail work and maybe special effects such as misting, and hence a better quality A/B - which may not offer such quick coverage of large areas?

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
That could be it Dave. It must be quicker to pick up another airbrush than to swap the needle and nozzle.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I think it's more that the "cheap" airbrush is the pre-upgrade airbrush and get's relegated to donkey work and the expensive airbrush has a finer tip so gets used for finer work.
That's the exact reason I have a 'primer' AB. Having said that, it's a H&S so still gets used for large areas of painting occasionally.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
I think the Badger 150 still has the option of a heavy duty, medium and fine nozzle to switch with separate needles. My 150 has been relegated to heavy duty duties so I don't change nozzles any more. This sprays a wider coverage and larger amount of paint so good for primer work or quick one color overall coverage. The finer but cheap Chinese made airbrush is for detail work or tints and preshade lines or figure painting.

Cheers,
Richard

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I use a cheapo Chinese 0.3mm airbrush for priming - it doesn't have a very sensitive 'trigger' so it's only really good for overall coats ( I use it for varnish as well ) - It does have an advantage in that it strips down & cleans easily! - I got it for <£12 from Amazon........
One thing I would urge on all airbrush users is - a quick release coupling, not only does it let you change brushes without draining your air tank, bui makes cleaning quicker
Dave

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Pete , I use a cheap chinese airbrush for priming ( when I dont prime with Halfords straight from the can ) , I also use a cheap chinese airbrush for block colour , freehand camo ,luftwaffe mottling , fine lines , post shading , exhaust stains etc. In otherwords ...ive only got cheap chinese airbrushes :smiling5::smiling5: .

First Name
Carl
I use a cheapo Chinese 0.3mm airbrush for priming - it doesn't have a very sensitive 'trigger' so it's only really good for overall coats ( I use it for varnish as well ) - It does have an advantage in that it strips down & cleans easily! - I got it for <£12 from Amazon........
One thing I would urge on all airbrush users is - a quick release coupling, not only does it let you change brushes without draining your air tank, bui makes cleaning quicker
Dave
further more probably get a decent quick release coupling, about £10 or more as the cheap ones attend to leak air which kinda defeats he object or at least that was my experience with a cheap £4 eBay one.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
further more probably get a decent quick release coupling, about £10 or more as the cheap ones attend to leak air which kinda defeats he object or at least that was my experience with a cheap £4 eBay one.
:tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy: thats cheap cheap...safer if its just cheap.

Cheers,
Richard

D

Deleted member 7917

I use a .6 needle set in my H&S Evolution for priming.

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
There are some interesting cheap v expensive (airbrush) vids on YouTube, to be honest not a awful lot in it unless your a graphic artist designer ,yes I have a upmarket airbrush but only because it was a sixtieth birthday present ,its a procon boy(mr Hobby) with a 0.2 needle this is used across the board for all my work ,but I also have a great little air brush that was my number one for years also 0.2 cost me about 18 squid quite a few years back at Telford. I've a couple more as well no more than 25 squid else I wouldn't have bought them. I do only put acrylic through them as the seals on cheap ones can be a bit doge but here is where I upset a few people there is no difference between them within reason get the paint mix right and air pressure to your liking and off you go you can spend a fortune on golf clubs but it doesn't mean they will improve your game. Practice practice practice i mix all my paint in the airbrush cup have a test blow on a piece of printer paper before turning loose on the model any left overs are used up on the printer paper write your name do smiley faces it all helps ,but its your mix and the pressure setting that need to be right ,yes the procon boy is heavy by comparison wonderfully engineered a joy to use but the mix and air pressure are what make it a joy to use ,thoes two things and the cheap ones do a fine job. I've probably said too much so I'll leave it there ,oh and don't get me going on primer Dave.
20200626_134937.jpg
See what I mean do some swiggles and wiggles better of wrecking a piece of paper than your hard work.