Cheap and cheerful duo

S

Sky Raider

Nice kits, looks like the bi-planes are taking over. Beautiful looking planes i think.

Andy

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Nice pair tony, although the pilot in the triplane is unusable , i know , i did this one a bit back. Apart from that its quite a good old kit, little bit of filler here and there but well worth a couple of quid! cheers tony

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Tony

I think I'm going to enjoy watching these 2 get built. You've chosen great subjects I'm sure you'll enjoy the kits.

All the best

Paul

yambam26

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ben
Ive got the Revell Sopwith Camel in my stash and its a decent little kit and for £2-£3 you can't go wrong!

Ill be looking out for the progress updates

Cheers,

Ben

T

TonyBv9

Thanks gents. I've made a start on them, I'll try to do them together. The triplane looks pretty poor; more flash than a 70s disco, and the mouldings are far from smooth. Maybe I got a bad one. It will test my skills with filler, anyway. The pilot has a little moustache - I reckon they modelled him on Terry Thomas.

The Albatross seems much better on initial dry-fitting.

This is the triplane:

View attachment 44090View attachment 44091View attachment 44092

View attachment 47294

View attachment 47295

View attachment 47296

IMG_8057.jpg

IMG_8058.jpg

IMG_8059.jpg

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I built a 1:72 Revell SE5 sometime ago and quite liked the little kit. Having said that, I think it came from a better mould than your example ! As for the mouldings not being smooth, is that Revell trying to reproduce 'canvas' used to cover the aircraft frame ?

Colin M..

T

TonyBv9

Work has got in the way recently, but I started painting both models. I used Revell Aqua Colour, and they look terrible; like they were done with a pastry brush. I will strip them both and try again with Vallejo Model Colour. I'm sure it's partly, or maybe mostly, my poor technique, but my limited experience of Model Colour has been much more positive. It just seems more novice-friendly.

Tony

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
When I made the change to acrylics, it was recommended that the surface should be primed before painting. It certainly works for me. As well, when I'm brush painting, I always thin the paint a bit.

T

TonyBv9

Thanks Colin. I am already a convert to the use of primer, but even so I can't get consistent results with the Aquacolor. Lightish shades seem OK - the beige on the underside of the triplane for example, but the green on the upper surfaces looks rubbish. It's all good experience, I suppose.

Tony