Cheap photoetch bending tool

yambam26

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ben
Hi All ive got a few kits now that will have some photoetch addons on small items but would be nice to have a proper clamped bending tool.

Cheers

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
I bought 'The Bug' from John in the shop. Excellent bit of kit.

yambam26

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ben
I bought 'The Bug' from John in the shop. Excellent bit of kit.

i had a quick look at that its out of stock currently not sure when it will be back in stock. i presume you can rotate the head round to a 40mm or so just straight edge

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
The head rotates 360 so you can pick whichever side you want

Jim F

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Ben,
If you go on ebay/internet and look for single edged razor blades you can get approx 50 blades for 4.50, then look for a metal ruler, and finally pop in a DIY store and get a ceramic tile you will then have a universal bending tool. This is what I used until bending tools became available and in fact I till use now. Just remember when cutting the etch from the fret use a curved blade and use a rocking motion using the ceramic tile as the cutting surface.

Last edited:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I have done my share of etch, mostly in the railway field, but I don’t own one. I have just used good quality (box jointed) smooth jawed pliers, good quality small engineers vice, pin vice, hand vice, or for long folds two steel rulers held in the bench vice.....I think one of these would speed up the process somewhat though....but small items would almost certainty be easier with smooth jawed pliers.

yambam26

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ben
Cheers lads ill have a nose around for some tools :smiling3: and get some bits ordered