Checker or Chequer flight

Miko

SMF Supporter
First Name
Miko
Because of the way my modeling brain works I like to build model kits with connection, the most recent one that's expanding my stash is 'check flight' aircraft, today I got my JASDF BAe125 with it's red and white chequer markings on the tail, this will be added to the stash with a JASDF Lockheed T-33 with similar tail markings, I've also found that Hasegawa released a 'checker' version of their NAMC YS-11. Also in the stash I have a Mach2 AW Argosy with similar chequer markings, I remember as a boy at school seeing an Argosy wheeling round in the sky in the summer month above the cricket pitch, I later found out it was calibrating the radar for RAF Binbrook about ten miles to the south. there is, or used to be a building or a caravan or box van at the end of the runway of the RAF stations I visited that were painted in red and white chequers, as I understand it, these were for last check of an aircraft before take off.

So my question is, what is a 'checker flight' exactly, and is the red and white chequers an international standard?

Also, do 56sqn RAF and the Croatian national foolball team check stuff? Ha!

56Sqn22.jpg

Look like they are checking stuff to me!

GettyImages-976381960.jpg

Miko (the national colour of Japan is actually blue!)

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I have a couple of shifty fixers but not the full tails paint job. Just a flash/band with the red / white checks.

Miko

SMF Supporter
First Name
Miko
I have a couple of shifty fixers but not the full tails paint job. Just a flash/band with the red / white checks.
56sqn is a great subject if you're a builder of front line post war RAF jets,

Meteor, Vampire, Swift, Javelin, Lightning, Phantom, Tornado and a 'what if' Typhoon. . . [edit, oh hang on forgot the Hunter!]

Similar with 11Sqn, only the 'what if' would be a Phantom!

Miko (connected themes again, I can't help it!)

Last edited:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I am working my way through 72sqn tiger squadron. they have had quite a wide selection to choose from.