Chess

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Since the lockdown our son and I have been playing chess online. This is a great way to stay in touch in spite of the fact that we are both ranked slightly below incompetent, as far as playing is concerned. This prompted me to have a go at making a trophy for him. Some of you might recognise this as one of the Lewis Island pieces, or at least inspired by the same. I made this from Magic Sculpt and he is about 5 inches tall. Here he is sitting in basic undercoat, the fun weathering and aging can now begin.

chessman.jpg

John

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Cracking work John. Nice to see chess getting a look in as well....not played it for years. That will be a worthy trophy!

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi John
That is excellent. We lived on the Isle of Lewis for 11 years and replicas of the chess set are sold in many shops as souvenirs for tourists. I have stood on the beach at Uig where they were found.
Jim

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
John

That really is looking very nice indeed.

ATB.

Andrew

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Very nice work John,
this is something I have on my todo list too for many years, making chess pieces, but never got to it. I love this ancient style. Very nice :thumb2:
Steven

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Gentlemen you are very kind.

So one antique "Isle of Lewis Chess piece", bids in excess of $500,000 considered..

A bit of weathering with various oil colours and finished off with a shine from some furniture wax.

chess man.jpg

John