Chinese Destroyer

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Hi folks,

You'll know from my other threads that I've been a bit busy recently and not had much time for modelling.

I have not been totally model free though. I picked this kit up at Cosford (I think) and paid the princely sum of £8. You can see that it is very 'toy like' and was originally meant to be an RC kit. It's got a one-piece hull and was a doddle to build; apart from some flash on the thinner pieces.

As it was originally a toy, I built it as one straight out of the box and it's going straight onto my grandson's model shelf.

I don't know about the dimensional accuracy, but I'll bet the super detailers among you ship builders could produce something really good as it's such a large scale for a ship (1/150).

Gern

View attachment 25574

View attachment 25575

View attachment 25576

View attachment 25577

View attachment 25578

View attachment 25579

View attachment 25580

IMGP0015.jpg

IMGP0012.jpg

IMGP0013.jpg

IMGP0009.jpg

IMGP0014.jpg

IMGP0017.jpg

IMGP0018.jpg

F

Fenlander

Looks very nice Dave, I like the stand it is on to, shows it off well. Not sure Trumpeter and Toy goes in the same sentence though. There is some scope for additional detailing but these modern missile boats are quite smooth and uncluttered things compared to the destroyers of WWII. Looks good to me. Isn't that the one you got at Hinckley, or was that a different one?

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Just goes to show your memory is better than mine Graham! Hinckley it was.

I know what you mean about the smoother lines on modern ships. The detailing I was thinking of was along the lines of PE railings and masts and drilled out windows with some interior detail for the bridge. That kind of stuff.

I've read that Trumpeter allegedly pinched this design from another company when they were first starting in business. I have no idea whether this is true, but I would certainly agree that the current generation of Trumpeter kits are as good as any you'll find - maybe even matching Tamiya quality in some cases. And they have a good selection of kits that no-one else produces.

Anyway, I enjoyed building this ship. It was a no brainer for me as I've been too busy recently to think about doing anything special with a model. This one took me straight back to my childhood modelling. Stick it together fast as you can and slap some paint on so you can get to play with it quicker! I think the total build time was around 10-15 hours spread over two or three weeks.

Gern

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Thanks for that Zhang. I reckon the pictures make it look better than it really is. I've got some more large scale ships to build (Revells Fletcher and Snowberry) so the practise with this one will help. I hope I'll be able to put a bit more detail in these as and when I do get round to building them.

Gern