Chipping Advice

Komedy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Warren
So with this tank build I'm going to have a bash at chipping and intend to use chipping fluid, I have read a few guides and videos but still a little unclear, so here is what I am intending to do..

1. Apply Primer Coat
2. Apply Base Coat - Thinking of a dark rust colour
3. Apply light coat of Future
4. Apply Chipping Fluid
5. Apply Main Colour in this case will be Dunklegrau
6. Gradually wet and "chip"

My main question is between steps what is the recommended drying time. Particularly after steps 4 and 5.

Thanks in Advance

Warren

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Warren
Base coat can be enamel, acrylic or lacquer. That coat must be thoroughly dry. I also doubt that you need a step 3 coat. Top coat must be acrylic. When chipping work in small areas and only work damp. Take your time as the chipping can get out of hand. Have a selection of chipping 'tools' - cut down brushes and cocktail sticks can be useful. As you are chipping use a clean, damp, soft flat brush to keep the area clean. Once the chipping fluid coat is dry you can apply the top coat. The longer the top coat is left to dry the harder the chipping gets but I have left it a few days and it has still worked. The whole chipping process can be very effective but a little hit and miss.
THIS build from Alistair shows that realistic chipping can be achieved with just a sponge.
Jim

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
The biggest issues with chipping fluid/hairspray chipping are threefold. Firstly your working environment. I work in a central heated study room, others in freezing cold sheds, others in the lounge etc etc and this has a large effect on paint drying times. Secondly the acrylic paint you are using - I use Vallejo but have used Tamiya and Mission Models in the past and all have a different optimum drying time for when its best to start chipping. Lastly the thickness of the paint you lay down. One or two coats chip a lot easier than three or four coats. You need to practice and experiment with your chipping fluid/ hairspray in your own environment with your own paints and see what works best. I have laid down five different base coats on one model which had a layer of hairspray applied each time once each layer was completely dry. At no time did I need a coat of varnish. As long as you are careful and gentle with your chipping tools you wont scratch down to the other base coat colours. However once finished I strongly recommend you coat the model in two coats of varnish before applying oils or pigment fixers. It took me five models before I mastered the art of hairspray/chipping fluid chipping but once mastered you will be glad of all the trouble it takes to get it right. Good luck.

DSC09774 (2).JPG

Last edited:

Komedy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Warren
Thanks everyone having a little trial run here on some of the boggy subs before i go too far :cold-sweat:

For one of the tests I have used Ammo One Shot Brown Oxide Primer, can I go straight to Chipping Fluid onto that and then my main colour, no need for a rust coloured base coat ?

Sorry if these question appear silly but you guys are a great source of advice

Ta in Advance