Chipping T 34

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Yes i know its not a StuG!!

What would be the colour of chipping on a T34, what colour was the primer??

The tool boxs on the fenders, were they wood or metal, if metal i assume a dark silver chip would be ok??

Thanks for any help

Bob

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Chipping............................

Where do you start................................

Using a primer as part of the chipping is probably better with hair spray/chipping solution, I have just watched a PanzerMeister 36, video which was quite good using both red primer and dunkelgrau chipped back from a dunkelgelb Stug III for an Afrika Korps build, a Bronco Stug D with an L43 barrel

The brush/sponge chipping is usually a lighter version of the top colour then a smaller amount of Vallejo 822 Black brown camo inside the lighter bits, leaving a small amount of the lighter colour around the edge.

Something like Night Shift, but not 70 + hours worth.

Its too easy to overdo it, so a little at a time, water the paint down slightly and step back from it regularly to see how it looks.

Marcus Nichols, the Tamiya magazine editor, has a really good DVD out too, from 2008, it should be on you tube too?

Again its another practise, practise, practise thing, I shall review my Stug after having left it for a few days, and look at it with fresh eyes

Loads of stuff on you Tube to give you some ideas, but keep it simple

HTH's?

Regards

Steve H

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Thanks Steve, again:thumb2:

Any idea on right chipping colour for a T34??

Bob

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
You like opening up cans of worms dont you Bob? :smiling5: :smiling5: :smiling2:

There are lots of theories and opinions on Russian armour primer colour. Broadly speaking Russian armour pre 1940 used an iron oxide primer more brown in colour. Early war years up to about 1943 they used no primer and just slapped on the 4BO. 1943 to the end of the war there is evidence of an iron oxide primer more red in colour being used.

I like Steve H's idea. That would look very nice indeed.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Bob, can't help, I don't do any chipping on my stuff. It's my opinion, and each to his own, but most models I see have way, way too much of it.

Which ever method you adopt, keep in mind 'Chipping' is caused by impact, not wear and tear. Which is a completely different animal.

Above all, don't get bogged down looking at 'thousands' of methods..... :dizzy:
Let the force be with you.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Thats my tiny brain confused lol

What is 822?

I have been playing around with stuff from VMS, you paint it in, then using water remove, like chipping fluid but i have found it easyier to use

Hi Ron, i know what you mean

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Vallejo 822 German black brown camo model colour paint is a straight out of the pot chipping colour.

You can use anything that is a darkish brown, and plenty of modelers do make a unique mix for each build

But it is a quick fix and will always be a constant colour

HTH's?

Steve H

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Watching this with interest :nerd: