Chipping without a long excersize and layers of paint

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
I have for a long time wondered if chipping could be done using a brush and a long drawn out process

I have now found one thanks to ian m ,

On seeing ians AR196 i mentioned that was a shame you cant do this with brush painting ! Ian mentioned liquid mask but he mentioned that it can have ammonia so its best not to use it with acrylics

But this got me thinking and i came up with PVA now ihad tryed this previously with mixed results on large areas but for what i wanted to do it might work on corners and edges so i gave it ago and its not as good as the layered AB approach but its not that bad

Its so basic its laughable just paint your surface add a bit on the end of a small brush , dry with a hairdryer medium heat about twelve inches from the spot for a few minuets and let it cool , pai t your top coat and leave to dry naturally once dry brush lightly with a sued brush until it starts to pull the pva away and it leaves a flake effect

Heres some pics View attachment 77245

View attachment 77245

View attachment 77246

View attachment 77247

View attachment 77248

chiping.jpg

image.jpg

chipping2.jpg

chipping4.jpg

First Name
Richard
Thanks Alan for this tip.

so you paint your models only by brush or do you airbrush to?

when yes on the airbrush, did you try that out to?

Cheers Richi

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
I only brush paint rich apart from priming large areas , im too long in the tooth to try air brushing now :D

First Name
Richard
Ok Alan,

thanks will try this one out.

I asked because I use an airbrush and the layer of paint is than thinner. you know what I mean? ;)

was interested if the surrounding paint comes of to when you go over the pva part with a brush.

Cheers Richi

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Yes rich it does , but its best to just rub it with your finger so the lose bits just come off , if you continue to to use the brush on the are with no pva it tends to scratch the paint instead thats why it only works on a corner or an edge piece , if you look on the first picture it doesnt look as good on a flat surface

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I would like to point out that I said most liquid masks contain Ammonia and can affect acrylic paints. The one from Vallejo is 100% safe, being made to be used with them.

There are other things that can be used, most however are better suited to spray paints, as they will either rub off or smear when you brush paint over it. (would you believe Marmite, Bovril/vegimite. Even peanut butter!!!)

I am not sure but I think hair spray can be used as a slip coat and brushed over..

I am intrigued by the idea of using PVA. It is after all a glue and I know that it can be used to stick plastic quite well. I would probably never get the stuff off again! LOL

An interesting experiment Alan, that has given a good result. We can not deny that it is chipped!

Ian M

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Forgot to mention:

If you want a very quick way of chipping, you could try painting a metal colour over the top paint. It has been done by others to great effect.

Ian M

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Thanks for the info on other things to use , I wonder if cooking oil would work ?

I tell you what this really does work on , a rough surface like grained wood , prime it let it dry completely , then one coat of gloss and let that dry completely then a thickish coat of PVA and leave to dry for about 3/4 days and get a hair brush , pull the little round things off the bristles and brush like you would if brushing up a shoe it flakes off really well and the bristles take most of the shine off the gloss paint I might do this next time I build as treat dio and show it on hear.

I have tried twice the hairspray method and I'm very pleased. Not sure if that will work with brush painting, but it surely work for AB. But I'm affraid it's only for acrylic paint..

Primer -> base coat -> hairspray -> main coat -> put a bit of water where you want your chipping, and scratch with wood or something similiar.

Of course wait till each coat is completly dry. I made a mistake last time and put main coat on hairspray too quickly. Effect? Paint was cracking here and there. Still manage to fix it but a lot of grey hair appeared on my head.

Cooking oil should work in theory. In practice you'll probably move it with brush/AB and it will get out of control.

N

noble

Alan here is an easy means of chipping, undercoat your vehicle in Germany gray wait until this dries using humbroll maskol of and a small piece of sponge dip the sponge lightly into the maskol and dab it randomly over the vehicle and allow to dry. Once dry airbrush or paint your main colour over the vehicle and allow to dry, once dry use your fingers to remove the maskol clean the loose flakes off the kit with an old soft tooth brush. I hope this is helpful

scott

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
interesting idea

ive never got on with maskol but never thought about using pva, definatly going to try this idea sometime

First Name
Dave
\ said:
I only brush paint rich apart from priming large areas , im too long in the tooth to try air brushing now :D
Long in the tooth?Your still a youngster Allan!.Plenty of time left to get into airbrushing

tanktrack

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I have Daler&Rownet art masking fluid which is a latex I wonder if it would work with acrylics as I have used it for water colours ? interesting

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
Long in the tooth?Your still a youngster Allan!.Plenty of time left to get into airbrushing
Glad you think so dave :D i dont know i can spray i was a tool sprayer for a number of years its just the detal aspect that puts me off , ive always been a hands on sort of bloke

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
i do like the look off the chipping effect , and have not real tryed it out ,but would like too,

so this one gets me very interested, in the ways of doing it,

i read some were that you can use a mix off salt and water ,mixed to like a paste and brushed on to were you would like it

let dry then put your top coat over and let dry then ,once set chip off the salt to show the under coat ,

have not try let,

B

Bunkerbarge

When you think about it most masking fluids are nothing more than a liquid latex in an amonia base. Far cheaper and just the same stuff is the old Copydex fabric glue that used to be used for applying carpet tape etc. I am not sure if it is still available but if you have an old bottle of the stuff left at the back of the garage it might be usefull.