Chipping woes

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
You have more of a chance of getting the fine mist rather than heavy droplets nearer to the spray nozzle

As Steve points out airbrush distance and pressure can affect the coat. I tend to do a 50/50 mix of paint and thinner and see how that goes. Generally I do around 20psi and adjust the needle nozzle for a finer or wider spray area. Depends on if you want mist coats and build up or are after a detail line etc. And yes, even that can and does go wrong.

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Touchy subject one mans poison and all that ,I think perhaps your problem could well be one of thoes modeling phenomenon you could do the same again it would never happen ,HS I think gives the best results at 35th the models are huge and can take a whole lot of scrubbing giving some amazing results ,working almost all the time in 72nd CF is the only way to go ive used CF with mixed results , I would recomend going on YouTube and stick in Michael Rinaldi some of what he does with the hair spray goes against the rules and he's pretty nonchalant about it well worth it. Dave

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Just remember when watching youtube videos, there's a time lapse in between each process which is cut shorter by editing or if there is a live audience the presenter would have examples prepared ahead for each process. So the key is not to accomplish in one sitting but if you're impatient then use a hair dryer. :smiling2:

Cheers,
Richard

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Roger
You asked me a question way back on 19th May. I am really sorry I missed it. Very remiss of me and bad manners as well. Please accept my apologies.
The chipping fluids I use are these. They all give a slightly different effect and some require more effort to chip than others. If I had to stick to one it would be Worn Effects.
P1040249.JPG
Once again sorry for such a late response.
Jim

Del640

SMF Supporter
First Name
Del
It simply isn't dry enough.
The HS, the paint.

I actually use the 'crazed paving' effect on Pacific aircraft (mainly Japanese) on parts of the wings.

To do this I specifically painted it when the HS was finger touch dry on the parts I wanted the crazed effect.

The rest of it I allowed to dry normally.

Otherwise, leave it overnight between coats and it'll react fine with usual wet brush application.

Del