Choice of King Tiger kit?

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Bit like the title says really. I'm looking at dipping my toe into the muddy world or armour again and really like the King Tiger (or Tiger II for you rivet counter types).

I've sort of narrowed it down to these manufacturers due to price. I'm not flush with cash or want all singing, million part count kits. Not much PE (if any) maybe for the grills etc.

So far i have looked at Das Werk, HobbyBoss, ICM, Meng and Zvezda (ex-Dragon mould). I'd like to do a winter camo scheme probably from the Battle of the Bulge timescale.

Any advice guys?

Jon Heptonstall

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jon
I've made the Meng Tiger II and was very impressed.There was an early problem with the road wheels leaning inwards and I used their torsion bars to correct this but I think I read that Meng have corrected this problem.
Jon.

Jim F

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Alan,
The Das Werk ones are the Takom ones without the full interior

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
I made the Revell one which had the ICM sprues in the box (link). It was a good but basic kit if I remember correctly...
Have fun!

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
So Das Werk and Meng are the front runners at the moment. Any words about the HobbyBoss kit?

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Just watched some reviews on the HB kit (84531). Looks very nice indeed. Separate zimmerit and some nice PE grills. £6 cheaper than the Das Werk one too. Hmm. Food for thought.

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Another +1 for the Meng kit. I had the early version with the wheels that towed in, but it's easily rectified and as Jon said this has now been fixed.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
The only thing i'm not sure about the Meng kit is that the box art shows the tank having zimmerit but it doesn't contain it in the kit. Possibly an aftermarket extra (more cost involved)? The HB does have it.

Jon Heptonstall

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jon
Hi Alan.
Factory applied zimm. was discontinued from september 1944.None of the Bulge Tigers had zimmerit.
Jon.