CHOSIN FEW at Funchilin pass

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
Hey Jim, John and Gavin Thank you very much...
indeed it's a great build...and I'm really enjoying it...as i said before, it's demanding and rewarding... I hope i'll do justice to that event.

John i sent u a message for the roof.. :smiling:

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
Ok Gents....my next step will be creating the landscape... so here are some pictures of the North Korean landscape that i will use as reference first making all the ground without snow and then adding snow..http_%2F%2Fcdn.cnn.com%2Fcnnnext%2Fdam%2Fassets%2F170418160821-hallasan.jpgJR2-82_(16).jpgrsz_1_dsc7925.jpg

Reactions: PJR

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
Dear All I wanted to share this piece of History with you...
CAPTURED NORTH KOREAN BATTLE FLAG - CHOSIN RESERVOIR
North Korean flag, 21" x 14 1/2" (sight, folded within a frame), set into a period wood and glass frame. The glass on the frame bears hand-painted lettering: "North Korean flag Took off self propelled tank by Cpl. Randolph H. Carter U.S. Army North of Hungnam North Korea in Nov. 1950". Worn and tattered, unexamined out of frame. This flag was probably captured just before the massive Chinese intervention pushed the UN forces back down the Chosin Reservior to Hungnam, a port city in South Hamgyong Province, on the eastern coast of North Korea, on the Sea of Japan. It was from Hungnam, between December 10-24, 1950, that UN forces carried out the largest sealift since the 1945 Okinawa operation, safely withdrawing over a hundred-thousand military personnel, 17,500 vehicles and 350,000 measurement tons of cargo. Also evacuated were some 91,000 refugees. This operation was the culmination of the Battle of Chosin Reservoir, in which UN troops fought their way out of a Chinese trap.Provenance: The War Museum, New York. 52842939_1_x.jpg

Reactions: PJR

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
Ok gents today the pilons on the left side of the diorama.... again a lot of filing and plastering...
ECC6B965-6ACD-466B-9FA6-4A644DEE5ABA.jpeg62877346-3FED-46A7-A224-EBB80E36F63C.jpeg

D

Daniel Horvath

Greg your attention to detail is spot on , is nice to see that is picking up a shape and things are getting in place It will be another one of your top class work ! Regards Danny

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
Thanks Daniel it looks that I'm slow... but I'm telling you it's very time consuming to file and then to re-plaster and then re-filing.... but it's super fun especially because i use a wonderful plaster that works super good..

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
thanks Paul well it's really rewarding having an audience like you all guys... tomorrow l'll do some more...

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
Ok gents i found a little something "tasty"... it was posted on my post in the other forum....

TOOTSIE ROLLS
The chocolate flavored candies froze in the inhuman temperatures, but the great thing about Tootsie Rolls is that they’re edible even when they’re frozen.
The sugar boost turned out to be just the jolt the troops needed. Realizing that when the candy was warmed up, it became a kind of putty, the troops were hit with a brilliant idea. The chewed-up Tootsie Rolls would become pliable when warm, but they would quickly freeze again when exposed to the freezing wind.
The soldiers started using the putty-like-substance to patch bullet holes in vehicles, hoses, and other equipment.
With their equipment fixed, the men collected their injured and frostbitten comrades, punched a hole through the enemy lines, and retreated to safety.

796926.jpg

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
and here is a funny event that occured during those days that the Marines were trapped and waiting for the Treadway bridge.

"Air support for the entire series of operations would remain critical; without it the men on the ground would be on their own, vastly outnumbered in a bad tactical situation. The 1st Marine Air Wing endeavored to keep 24 attack aircraft over the withdrawing column at all times during daylight in order to provide immediately available fire support. At night, specially equipped fighter aircraft could offer some degree of coverage.
In addition to the Marine Air Wing, Navy aircraft flying from carriers in the Sea of Japan and Air Force planes from other parts of Korea tried both to keep the troops on the ground supplied and the Chinese under constant pressure. But the weather often did not cooperate, and the Air Force was simultaneously engaged in massive support of the Eighth Army’s crumbling front in western Korea.

Because of these airmen, the troops on the ground retreating from Chosin Reservoir were well supplied with ammunition. Food was a different matter, however. The C-rations and K-rations carried by the troops were frozen solid and could not be readily thawed. Lighting fires along the route of march presented the obvious problem of drawing enemy fire, especially at night. As the breakout progressed from Yudam-ni to Hagaru-ri to Koto-ri, the men were continually drained of energy. In a moment of complete comic relief, at Koto an airdrop delivered boxes of condoms to the Marines, who quipped, “What do they think we are doing with those Chinese, anyway?”........

:tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy:

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
and here is a funny event that occured during those days that the Marines were trapped and waiting for the Treadway bridge.

"Air support for the entire series of operations would remain critical; without it the men on the ground would be on their own, vastly outnumbered in a bad tactical situation. The 1st Marine Air Wing endeavored to keep 24 attack aircraft over the withdrawing column at all times during daylight in order to provide immediately available fire support. At night, specially equipped fighter aircraft could offer some degree of coverage.
In addition to the Marine Air Wing, Navy aircraft flying from carriers in the Sea of Japan and Air Force planes from other parts of Korea tried both to keep the troops on the ground supplied and the Chinese under constant pressure. But the weather often did not cooperate, and the Air Force was simultaneously engaged in massive support of the Eighth Army’s crumbling front in western Korea.

Because of these airmen, the troops on the ground retreating from Chosin Reservoir were well supplied with ammunition. Food was a different matter, however. The C-rations and K-rations carried by the troops were frozen solid and could not be readily thawed. Lighting fires along the route of march presented the obvious problem of drawing enemy fire, especially at night. As the breakout progressed from Yudam-ni to Hagaru-ri to Koto-ri, the men were continually drained of energy. In a moment of complete comic relief, at Koto an airdrop delivered boxes of condoms to the Marines, who quipped, “What do they think we are doing with those Chinese, anyway?”........

:tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy:
Sound like normal military organisation:smiling::smiling:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Great roof, Greg, your right there when you said
"i know somebody will like this " .
Thanks for posting. Apart from bricks nothing beats a roof .:smiling::smiling::smiling:
Some say I should get out more, oh yes say I more roofs and bricks to see .Matron time for a pill please .!
John

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
Thanks Paul, John and Papa...
Well as usual you all give me extra spice on my mojo.... thank u
Here is todays update... :smiling::smiling2:78CD88D1-9547-46DA-A55E-2DAAD6EAE1C5.jpeg
the first window
84690CAD-61C8-49C3-9E75-DE14A10981C3.jpeg154E028D-8812-4427-83B2-88E7F45C6342.jpeg
side wall and the gutter
C1E5D239-5B26-4336-A4B1-FB785CFFDF35.jpeg

Last edited:

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Sterling work Gregory. I still get the mini-sized Tootsie Rolls at Hallows Eve as my Grandson has many allergies & they are one of the few treats allowed him. I like them too.