Chris T's Trenchworks Churchill 'Bobbin' Type-D Gold Beach (Geoff's D-Day 80th)

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Well, I've not posted this until the 'D' itself, even though it was effectively finished before the GB even properly started. Through me not paying attention

So, Churchill Mk IV (R) AVRE Carpet Layer Type-D, 81 Sqn, 6th Assault Regt. (RE), 79th Armoured Division - Trenchworks / Warlord resin and 3d print in 28mm, figures 3d prints from 2djson on eBay, markings from Warlord

IMG_3112.JPGIMG_3113.JPGIMG_3114.JPGIMG_3115.JPGIMG_3116.JPG
The carpet layers were deployed to cover the soft clay patches on the beaches, specifically Gold, to stop other vehicles bogging down. Strictly speaking, the crew probably wouldn't be out like that on the beach, so this really depicts a vehicle being tested at Orfordness. This is based on the only photo of a Type-D that shows the serial I could find, the 'R' suffix standing for 're-work' when Mk-IIIs and -IVs were brought up to later standard

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Nice one :smiling3: The only detractor is that you put the deep-wading ducts on without any of the other preparation, when in fact those ducts were the very last thing to be fitted right before embarkation in the landing craft. But hey, everyone else does that too :smiling3:

This is based on the only photo of a Type-D that shows the serial I could find, the 'R' suffix standing for 're-work' when Mk-IIIs and -IVs were brought up to later standard
There were all kinds of letter suffixes on Churchills, and I’ve not been able to discover what they actually stood for. I know I’ve seen at least /A, /B and /C, and I think also /D and /E. It has nothing to do with the kind of special equipment installed, I know that, but other than that …

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Nice one :smiling3: The only detractor is that you put the deep-wading ducts on without any of the other preparation, when in fact those ducts were the very last thing to be fitted right before embarkation in the landing craft. But hey, everyone else does that too
Yes indeed. One of the, VERY few, qhotos of this particular vehicle shows the hull Besa filled in, and the turret, or what's visible, looks to be completely covered. However...
The photo I used for the wading trunking cables (and yes, I DID indeed miss the quick-release cable running into the turret) shows no waterproofing on the beast at all. So, like I said about the visible crew, and as I pre-empted the GB, let's call this a full-up kit test on Orfordness beach

According to my info, the /suffixes (also \, and mine just a gap) are ill-defined, the 'R' for 'Reworked' being the only 'definite' one. Conjecture, published in Taylor's Warpaint Vol. 1) is that the letters were, originally, something like:
A - AVRE, B - Bridgelayer, C - Carpet-layer, G - Crane. There's no 'F' though, which you'd think might stand for 'Fascine', but D, E, H, and K are anyone's guess
I'd say somebody was trying to regularise an irregular system. Probably an RSM or WO1! I mean, they're all AVREs anyway, with the same mounting points, just different fitments

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
That's excellent Steve. I had to double check the scale as it could easily pass for a larger scale.
I get that a lot with my 28mm stuff! That's why a put a penny alongside at some stage of the build thread

Thanks for the kund words chaps. AVRE SBG on the way
Yes, I AM doing a collection of Hobart's 'Funnies. 'cos most they is Churchills'

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
The photo I used for the wading trunking cables (and yes, I DID indeed miss the quick-release cable running into the turret) shows no waterproofing on the beast at all.
Odd. About the only reason I can think of for that is to see how the vehicle behaves, in terms of carpet-laying, with the ducts on?

Conjecture, published in Taylor's Warpaint Vol. 1) is that the letters were, originally, something like:
A - AVRE, B - Bridgelayer, C - Carpet-layer, G - Crane. There's no 'F' though, which you'd think might stand for 'Fascine', but D, E, H, and K are anyone's guess
That already breaks down at A, unfortunately — this is a GP AVRE, census number clearly visible as T69114/B:

Churchill AVRE Zuidstraat.jpg

they're all AVREs anyway, with the same mounting points, just different fitments
The problem I have with linking the suffixes to AVRE equipment is that a lot of that equipment was attached to the generic mounting points on the hull sides, or was otherwise easily detachable, so why would a suffix be painted on to indicate the role?

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
The problem I have with linking the suffixes to AVRE equipment is that a lot of that equipment was attached to the generic mounting points on the hull sides, or was otherwise easily detachable, so why would a suffix be painted on to indicate the role?
Exactly. The could just as easily be conversion batch suffixes, like the 'R'

I live quite close to the Royal Engineers museum. I wonder if they've got anything on record...

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Might be worth a check, though I’m a bit sceptical you’d actually find something …

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Personally Chris, I don't care if it was an L, M, N, Or, P.........That's a great 'little' model of an interesting Hobart funny's Churchill. Yea, maybe the crew shouldn't be out like that, but it it gives an idea to how big the mat roll was and gives the finished model character. Top job!!!

Prost
Allen

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Further information is that the A, B, C, D and E, G and R, MAY be the stages of re-fits / re-works, as there were about seven individualvital mods done to IIIs and IVs in the rework programme
It KIND of makes sense, but sounds like more of a documentation record thing tho'.
Still, the sappers having the 'upgrade' stage right there on the vehicle also works

More research needed
Or just add letters by photo ref.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Great work! Very well done.

Andrew

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
It KIND of makes sense, but sounds like more of a documentation record thing tho'.
Agreed, but I suppose they might have figured that painting it onto the outside of the tank would make it clear which vehicle has, and which hasn’t been reworked? Sort of like American softskin vehicles with a -S suffix to the registration number: it indicates the electrical system has been suppressed to allow a two-way radio to operate properly when installed in the vehicle. Why would you need to show this on the outside, though? Punch an S into the vehicle data plate and you’re done, I would think, because the only time that letter is important is when choosing which vehicle in your unit you want to fit a radio in, and you’ll have the time to check the data plates then anyway.

Or just add letters by photo ref.
From the modeller’s perspective, that’s of course the best solution :smiling3:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Chris congratulations , the Committee have awarded you the Dogs. Unfortunately there's no picture at the moment sorry .