Chris's 1:72 Airfix Phantom FG.1

Archetype

FAA plane builder
First Name
Chris
Hi all. Since I arrived with an enquiry about a cracked canopy, I thought I should probably share my work with you to prove that I do something!

I decided to get back in to modelling after putting it down in my late teens and this is the first build for nearly 25 years. I picked the Fleet Air Arm as a subject after the passing of my Grandfather who served aboard HMS Eagle, and this is the first in a series I plan to build.

I am calling this done as I started it in January and am keen to get on with something else. It's taken a while as this kit has a lot of options and stick on parts, the majority of which are white which was a challenge to get to a decent finish and required much learning along the way.

Completely out of the box. Finished in satin and left unwashed as I plan to come back to this once I have had a bit more practice.

IMG_1182[1].JPGIMG_1183[1].JPG
IMG_1181[1].JPGIMG_1187[1].JPG

Now, on to the first of the things I am not happy with. I am going to record them here to remind myself of the issues and as an admission to you lot to keep me from doing them again.
I'm sure nobody will notice, but I know it's a mistake so it bothers me. Those underwing markings are too far up the wing, along the leading edge.

IMG_1185[1].JPG

This close up shows the next two. I learned that maskol should not be removed with pointy metal tweezers and damaged the canopy. I also painted the navigators console black instead of grey.

IMG_1186[1].JPG

The kit instructions call for this tail fin on this aircraft, but there was a conflict between those horizontal fins and the 'R' decal, which I decided to divide. If I had researched this I would have noticed the lack of examples of Ark Royal phantoms with these fins and removed them.

IMG_E1180[1].JPG

Here she is in her final display spot.

Thanks for looking in.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Really nice job Chris an if it was me id leave as it is a really crackin model an regards the under wing markings I think they look right as with the stores on no other place you could put them that's my opion
chris

Archetype

FAA plane builder
First Name
Chris
Thanks guys, appreciate it.

I’ve been impressed with everyones work and am pleased you like it.

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Hi Chris,

Well I’d have to say, that does look very tidy, a lovely job well done :thumb2:
You’ve clearly not lost any of your ability in 25 yrs:smiling4:

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
First one in nearly 25 years, that is really very good. My story is similar to yours, returning to the hobby some time later, but no one has ever seen my first 'return' model - no never !

Archetype

FAA plane builder
First Name
Chris
Thanks for the feedback!

Yep, not bad for 25 years I guess. Room for improvement still but got to start somewhere.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nicely done Chris, I'd be well chuffed with this as the first build after 25 years.

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Chris, I think you're being a bit hard on yourself that's a cracking build and if you hadn't pointed out all your "errors" I would be none the wiser. One to be proud of!!

Archetype

FAA plane builder
First Name
Chris
Thank you all for the kind words.
I do have a tendency for being self critical, but I rationalise it as the pursuit of improvement!