Christian's Warlord Games/Italeri Bolt Action 1:56 Sd.Kfz. 234/2 "Puma".

Gauge1TrainsDK

SMF Supporter
First Name
Christian
Morning all!

One of the few advantages of being a little sick is that you find time to do more hobby-related activities. The disadvantage being, of course, that it's not as enjoyable. Regardless, here is the 1:56 scale build for the "Bolt Action" WWII wargame by Warlord Games.

The plastic for these wargame kits (which is a comprehensive series) is in many cases made by Italeri, and in all cases made in extra sturdy plastic. No PE in any kits so far, which I also would generally not recommend for a model which must be handled in order to play the game.

Decals with balkenkreuz and numbers included, but I unfortunately forgot take a picture of that. See here: https://store.warlordgames.com/products/puma-sd-kfz-234-2-armoured-car

This first post contains images of the box, simple (just sufficient) build instructions, and sprues. Download and zoom in on the pictures should enable you to get a good impression of the good quality of the plastic molding, containing some mold lines on thin, round parts. However, since the plastic is stronger, you can be more thorough with the filing :smiling:

If you are into wargames, I do highly recommend trying out Bolt Action, btw!

IMG_1030.JPGIMG_1031.JPGIMG_1032.JPGIMG_1033.JPGIMG_1034.JPGIMG_1037.JPG

Gauge1TrainsDK

SMF Supporter
First Name
Christian
The kit is composed of roughly 60 parts, divided into about 50 parts numbers.

I believe only one round turret cover part had some flash. Few items had mold lines, maybe 10 pieces including the spring suspension. Filing down on the spring suspension was easy and hassle free in this case.

It took a total of maybe 3 to 4 hours to build this kit, which is a little more than the typical Bolt Action vehicle kit, which would consist of between 20 to 30 pieces.

The suspension looks really good for the scale, and it's a shame it won't be seen until the vehicle is tipped over and laying destroyed on the wargaming battlefield.

The model is now ready for painting. The wheels, some equipment (shovels and jack), and the commander figure will be spray painted separately, and the body and turret of the vehicle will be in desert yellow.

It was a pleasurable build, and I feel the final product OOB looks good and has a lot of weathering potential whilst remaining suited for wargame handling :smiling:

IMG_1050.JPGIMG_1051.JPGIMG_1052.JPGIMG_1054.JPGIMG_1055.JPGIMG_1056.JPGIMG_1057.JPG

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Morning Christian,
Nice work getting the puma together. looks to have a good amount of detail for the size :thumb2:

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Christian

Looking good. Coming back to the hobby a few years ago I discovered wargaming kits have come along way. Have you tried and of the Plastic Soldier Company 1/72 stuff? They turn out pretty nicely too for such simple kits.

ATB

Andrew

Gauge1TrainsDK

SMF Supporter
First Name
Christian
Morning Christian,
Nice work getting the puma together. looks to have a good amount of detail for the size :thumb2:
Thanks, Si! Yes, these models look quite good on the gaming table as well as whilst painting and weathering them. Although obviously things will be missing, it does not feel that way.

Gauge1TrainsDK

SMF Supporter
First Name
Christian
Christian

Looking good. Coming back to the hobby a few years ago I discovered wargaming kits have come along way. Have you tried and of the Plastic Soldier Company 1/72 stuff? They turn out pretty nicely too for such simple kits.

ATB

Andrew

Thank you!

Not any 1:72 scale at present, since the wargame is made with 1:56 in mind and there is no serious lack of models to work with from Warlord Games themselves. I am building this scale only for use with the game.

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Thank you!

Not any 1:72 scale at present, since the wargame is made with 1:56 in mind and there is no serious lack of models to work with from Warlord Games themselves. I am building this scale only for use with the game.
Gotcha. Not tried it myself yet. My son and I do 1/72 battles just for father/son time/fun. Nothing more serious than that.

Gauge1TrainsDK

SMF Supporter
First Name
Christian
Gotcha. Not tried it myself yet. My son and I do 1/72 battles just for father/son time/fun. Nothing more serious than that.
That is a great way to start :smiling: Both with modelling and with wargaming. And what better than doing it as a father & son-project?

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
That is a great way to start :smiling: Both with modelling and with wargaming. And what better than doing it as a father & son-project?
Indeed. Although I tried hard not to take over I think I have failed for the most part. He likes the building phase bit is not fussed about the painting bit.

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Do you varnish coat the models after painting, so the paint is not worn off?

Hi Christian

Short answer is yes.

In my youf I used Humbrol enamels and never varnished but the paint never came off as it's hard wearing.

I now normally use acrylics specifically Vallejo, for a variety of reasons, which are not quite as hard wearing in my experience but I may be doing something wrong. I now always do a satin coat to apply the decals. Then I often do a second coat to protect the decals before weathering and once I'm finished always apply a final Matt coat.

HTH.

ATB

Andrew

Gauge1TrainsDK

SMF Supporter
First Name
Christian
Sounds like my experience with Vallejo paints, too.

"HTH" I do not understand, unfortunately.

All the best.

Gauge1TrainsDK

SMF Supporter
First Name
Christian
Hope that Helps

Terrific choice for the GB Christian. Looks like it went together okay. Looking forward to seeing which paint scheme you go for
Thank you :smiling:

I am going for the yellow monotone scheme for this one.

I will also be making a Hobby Boss re-released Tristar Brummbär early in 1:35 for this GB.

Gauge1TrainsDK

SMF Supporter
First Name
Christian
As time has passed, so has the window for this GB, alas. I have had nowhere near enough free time to complete this, but the model is spray painted with Army Painter Desert Yellow, and I have added a few metal scratches with some left over paint pools from weathering a gauge 1 wagon. That's the current status, and it will certainly be finished one day :smiling:

The Hobby Boss re-release Tristar Brummbär is actually nearing post-paint assembly completion, and is soon ready for touch up painting and weathering. I will make a separate post on that build, but not in this GB, as it is clearly too late.

IMG_1532.JPG

Gauge1TrainsDK

SMF Supporter
First Name
Christian
Thanks, man! It may be a while before anything further happens, as I am not currently playing Bolt Action with anyone, but it will certainly get done.