Chromate

R

robbbbb81

Hi,

I'm currently building a 1/48 C-130j made by Italeri. One of the colours it says to use is Chromate (Flat). What is that exactly?

I spoke to the guy in my local model shop and he said something about you can only create it in a vacuum.

Do Italeri just mean Silver?

Thanks.

(Sorry I just realised this is the Trains forum)

T

Tailspin14

I have an acryllic green chromate primer that I use when it is called for that. Later tonight I will send you the manufacturer and the number on it. I believe that is what they are calling for. Then again, I could be wrong. hehe

Bob

R

robbbbb81

Thanks. I'll have a look for that at the weekend. I must have explained it wrong in the shop.

Is there any special way of applying it or is it just essentially paint?

R

rjwood_uk

well as far as i can tell its ment to be used as a primer (might be different though you will have to read the instructions)

if it is for a primer you will want spray it to get a nice thin even layer.

B

Bunkerbarge

Hi,I'm currently building a 1/48 C-130j made by Italeri. One of the colours it says to use is Chromate (Flat). What is that exactly?

I spoke to the guy in my local model shop and he said something about you can only create it in a vacuum.

Do Italeri just mean Silver?

Thanks.

(Sorry I just realised this is the Trains forum)
Chromate is a specific type of primer that you need to use when painting such metals as aluminium and zinc. It bonds to the metal surface giving a good key for the top coats.

As you are making a plastic model I suspect that the instructions are simply calling for the colour of the primer rather than the particular paint.

In my experience Chromate primer was a yellow colour but that is not to say it couldn't be in other colours. I would do a bit of research first on the web.

Check out these links to start with:

http://www.indestructible.co.uk/rockhard/700-003.html

http://www.crownberger.co.ke/crown%20web/CROWN_ZINC_CHROMATE_METAL_PRIMER_PM1_PAGE.htm

You may notice they both refer to a yellow colour.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Yes Chromate primer is just that made from zinc,it is a form of sacrificial type application in that not only does it protect the metal but actually etches into it,it is used by mixing a dilute form of acid with yellow or green coloured chromate,awful stuff to spray,get it too dry and it does not etch the metal and can flae off,too thin and it works too violently.

U.S Air Force types used a greenish shade,British aircraft was a sort of dull lemon yellow with a tinge of green,there are many variations in colour shade.

There is also a synthetic version made from oil based products that stinks.