Chrome engine panting?

B

Beano

Hi guys, I'm just in the middle of building the engine of my shelby gt350.The head covers on it are chrome. The pieces of it come in chrome but the raised parts of the covers are the only bits that are chrome, the other bits are black.What is the best way of painting the recessed bits black? I don't think they make a brush small enough to get in there, if they did it would be 1 bristle :smiling3:The model is revell and it's a 1:24.Also, does the chrome need scratching off to be painted on? Thanks for any advice.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
You could try painting the rocker covers black then swipe across the fins with a cotton bud. Should leave the paint in the grooves and remove it from the raised parts.....In theory.

I know some of the bike builders use a similar method for painting the cast texts in break cylinders and clutch covers ets.

Ian M

B

Beano

Thanks for your advice, that sounds like a plan. I'll give it a go soon!

Thanks again!

B

Beano

I gave this a go and it worked perfectly! I also used a toothpick to get any paint off that the cotton bud didn't. Thanks!

If anybody who hasn't used this method is reading, let the paint dry for a minute or 2 before using the bud.