Chrome Help

Bortig the Viking

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Hi all, right I've stripped the "toy" chrome off, now can anyone recommend the best chrome paint to go on.
Seen so many so thought I'd ask you guys as to the best step forward, not into trying several types instead I'm asking on here.
Hit me with it.

Bortig the Viking

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Thanks for that, should have said for larger areas such as 1/24 Bentley radiator grill shroud.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Alclad 2 is the best I’ve found. Needs to be sprayed onto a smooth surface over a gloss black undercoat....it’s cellulose based though, so is smelly and needs decent PPE, therefore it isn’t for everyone.....

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I second the Alclad metal paints

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Another vote for Alclad. Clean up using simple cellulose thinners, no need to buy the expensive cleaner.

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
I bought one of those pens and it was great for about three goes, now, no matter how much I shake it, it's just silver, not chrome. How long has your lasted ?
Colin, mine lasted two uses (a wing mirror and a headlight) then paint stopped coming out

D

Deleted member 7181

I bought one of those pens and it was great for about three goes, now, no matter how much I shake it, it's just silver, not chrome. How long has your lasted ?
Mine's working fine Colin. Not had it ages but certainly used it more than 3 times.

Took a while to figure out how to use it though. Are you pumping the tip to get more fluid through? Press it against some paper or similar a few times to reload the nib.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Thanks for that, should have said for larger areas such as 1/24 Bentley radiator grill shroud.
The pen is fine for large areas.
About a year and a half now Colin. Seems to be as good as it ever was.
Pete

Bortig the Viking

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Thanks for the replies, will give Alclad 2 a try although have Molotow pens, any ideas how to thin it for spraying, does it need it ?

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
About a year and a half now Colin. Seems to be as good as it ever was
Are you pumping the tip to get more fluid through? Press it against some paper or similar a few times to reload the nib
A year and a half - wow. Andy, yes, the pen is working, it's just that the 'ink' is only silver, not the amazingly shiny chrome it was.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Colin, mine lasted two uses (a wing mirror and a headlight) then paint stopped coming out
So it looks like me and thee are the unlucky ones. I wouldn't mind too much but I paid about £6.00 for a pen. Do I risk another one ?

Bortig the Viking

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Thanks for the video, might just try it on something from the plastic mountain.

D

Deleted member 7181

A year and a half - wow. Andy, yes, the pen is working, it's just that the 'ink' is only silver, not the amazingly shiny chrome it was.
Ah sorry, I misunderstood.

I have found that the more shiny the substrate the more chrome like finish the pen produces. Not sure if that's the same thing your experiencing though.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Ah sorry, I misunderstood.

I have found that the more shiny the substrate the more chrome like finish the pen produces. Not sure if that's the same thing your experiencing though.
I used to use it straight out of the pen onto a primed surface, and all was fine. Shame really because it was brilliant for oleo's

Bortig the Viking

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Next question, should I pu the clearcoat down first the use molotow chrome or the other way round, I'm getting confused.