Chrome, off or on?

outrunner

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I have a 1.24 Ford pickup truck that I intend to practice weathering on, actually, it's still in the box. Question is, should I strip the chrome off the wheels, mirrors and grille and paint them silver or just try weathering over the chrome. Rookie question I know, but if you don't ask...........

Andy.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I would strip them, clean up the mould lines that will be on the part, prime the parts gloss block, then spray them with Alclad II chrome. However, I’m a bit obsessive and don’t like the appearance of plastic chrome....

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
what sort of weathering?

you will find a lot of things will not 'take' to the chrome easily

outrunner

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
what sort of weathering?

you will find a lot of things will not 'take' to the chrome easily
I would like to make it look like it has travelled on a dirt road, dust, mud etc.

Andy.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I'm with Tim on the Alclad II. It will give a much more realistic appearance and would definitely take to weathering better than the tinny stuff the manufacturers splash on their sprues. Rick H.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Andy
I would strip the chrome. It doesn't look right on models and as Tim says the part can be cleaned up and the fit checked.
Alclad 2 is lacquer based and so smells and needs handling carefully. If you intend to heavily weather the model you might consider a more user friendly chrome paint - perhaps Vallejo or Darkstar. Not as "chrome" like but may be ok under weathering.
Jim

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Like the other guys, I'm generally an advocate of strip the chrome with bleach and re-paint. Having said that, I recently built an F50 from Tamiya, the chrome on the wheels wasn't that bad so I just gave a light spray over with smoke and I think they came out OK, pic below has the original wheels on the left, and the smoked wheels on the right. I guess it depends on how bright you want the chromework. :smiling3:

MVIMG_20191113_203913.jpg

I should add, I only did this with the wheels, the exhausts were stripped and repainted.

outrunner

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
After asking the question about chrome I decided to try removing it from the wheels, bumpers and mirrors on the pickup kit.
Chrome.
49461054523_5f389fb9a2_b.jpg
No chrome.
49461537756_cc5539572a_b.jpg
I could not believe how quickly the process took, from dipping them in the bleach to washing and drying them must have took all of 3 minutes, great result and a good lesson from you guys, thanks for all the advice.

Andy.