Citadel paints and thinner problems

M

m1ks

Quick and hopefully useful post for users of Citadel paints, (Games Workshop).

I use their metallics

Mithril silver

Chainmail

Boltgun metal

Burnished gold

Shining gold

I like them because they have a very very fine metallic flake and look far better than say Tamiyas aluminium etc.

The problem I had previously was when thinned with IPA as I do with tamiya paints, it was initially OK then coagulated blocking the airbrush and not behaving when spraying, the solution i initially used was to thin with water, this had varied results and was quite inconsistent.

As I had the AB out today doing some of the heli i'm working on I noticed the set of resin Elan wheels awaiting their steel paint for the long ongoing Lotus 7 on the bench.

I got out the Chainmail citadel paint and a thought occured, I have a bottle of unused Tamiya X20A thinners, i wonder how that would work?

I thinned a few drops, decanted to the AB cup and went to spraying, the initial spraying went excellently, so i prolonged he session and looked for other things to spray and used pretty much the whole thing over maybe 10 minutes with the paint remaining well thinned and flowing fabulously.

So for anyone liking Citadel paints and wanting to airbrush them, Tamiya thinners works excellently, I know i'll be using it for future spraying sessions with the other citadel paints I have.