Cleaning airbrush after Tamiya,?

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Yes its me again lol:rolling:

About to use Tamiya for the first time in years, normally use lacquer but might as well use what i have in stock

Whats the best stuff to clean the airbrush with??

Ta very much in advance

Bob

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
What ever you use to clean after you've used lacquer Bob ,cleaners, cleaners is cleaners after all if mr hobby thinners and mr hobby self leveling thinners thin tamiya acrylics a treat why wouldn’t what you clean up after lacquer work. Dave

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I use Mr Hobby SLT for both dilution and cleaning Bob. It needs a mask or good ventilation though.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Evening Bob,

If you are cheap like me, IPA works great for thinning Tamiya paint and cleaning the AB too. Never had a prob with it and it doesn't cost the world to buy a big bottle. It does have a bit of a smell, dissipates quickly though and not too dangerous to the lungs. HTHs....

Prost
Allen

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
As allen says IPA is great and lots cheaper than proprietary cleaners . You can use it as a thinner too but it doesnt have the retarder in it like Tamiyas own thinners does , so its best to use their own stuff for thinning .

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
What ever you use to clean after you've used lacquer Bob ,cleaners, cleaners is cleaners after all if mr hobby thinners and mr hobby self leveling thinners thin tamiya acrylics a treat why wouldn’t what you clean up after lacquer work. Dave
Hi David, many thanks

I was wondering that as Tamiya is lacquer based, will save me time and money as i have stuff here
I use Mr Hobby SLT for both dilution and cleaning Bob. It needs a mask or good ventilation though.
Evening Tim

Thanks, got plenty of SLT!
Evening Bob,

If you are cheap like me, IPA works great for thinning Tamiya paint and cleaning the AB too. Never had a prob with it and it doesn't cost the world to buy a big bottle. It does have a bit of a smell, dissipates quickly though and not too dangerous to the lungs. HTHs....

Prost
Allen
Hi Allen, thanks for the info, appreciated

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
As allen says IPA is great and lots cheaper than proprietary cleaners . You can use it as a thinner too but it doesnt have the retarder in it like Tamiyas own thinners does , so its best to use their own stuff for thinning .
Many thanks for the info

Bob

D

Deleted member 5496

First I flush out with two or three cups of water with compressor as high as possible. Preserves airbrush cleaner.

Then I use a cotton wool swab soaked with Vallejo Airbrush cleaner to remove congealed paint in the cup before it gets down into the nozzle.

Remove the needle to clean. Use the other end of cotton swab to clean out the airbrush cap on the front end.
Replace needle but not fully home. Cup of cleaner flush thro.
Needle fully home another cup of cleaner flushed thro. Leaving just a drop in the nozzle to lubricate.

Laurie

D

Deleted member 5496

Just add i am using Vallejo Cleaner. However the best I have found as paint just disappears as you spray it on.

Harder & Steenbeck Color Pro. Airbrush CleanerBut there ain't much of it about at the moment. It is in a large container & very competitive.

I decamp part into a spray bottle.

Laurie

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Hi Bob
THIS stuff from John at the Scale Model Shop. It cleans perfectly.
Jim
Hi Jim

Been using this for a while, works very well. Only thing i find a problem is getting the last of the spray out of the can. You know its in there but tried, shaking and more shaking even soaking can in hot water but usually end up throwing can out! Anybody else have this issue??
Just add i am using Vallejo Cleaner. However the best I have found as paint just disappears as you spray it on.

Harder & Steenbeck Color Pro. Airbrush CleanerBut there ain't much of it about at the moment. It is in a large container & very competitive.

I decamp part into a spray bottle.

Laurie
Hi Laurie

Many thanks for the sound advice, much appreciated!

Had no problems thinning and using Tamiya, forgot about the smell! Went on well and cleaned the airbrush in the same way after normal lacquers, no problems. Many thanks to you all for yet again helping with hard earned advice!!

Only one very big problem, the booth although its big it only just takes Darings hull, so KGV etc will not fit, aaarrrgghh

The ships arse end will stick out and as the garage is horribly dusty ( despite hoovering before every session ) i can see a few problems in the making.

So need to think again what do i do???

D

Deleted member 5496

Hi Jim

Been using this for a while, works very well. Only thing i find a problem is getting the last of the spray out of the can. You know its in there but tried, shaking and more shaking even soaking can in hot water but usually end up throwing can out! Anybody else have this issue??

Hi Laurie

Many thanks for the sound advice, much appreciated!

Had no problems thinning and using Tamiya, forgot about the smell! Went on well and cleaned the airbrush in the same way after normal lacquers, no problems. Many thanks to you all for yet again helping with hard earned advice!!

Only one very big problem, the booth although its big it only just takes Darings hull, so KGV etc will not fit, aaarrrgghh

The ships arse end will stick out and as the garage is horribly dusty ( despite hoovering before every session ) i can see a few problems in the making.

So need to think again what do i do???

Know the problem. Dart Herald with wings on 18" (450mm) width of booth 18".. Leaving wings off as long as possible.

I just need a dedicated spray room. Mmm flat balcony na Pauline needs it for her plants. Tut what to do what to do

Laurie

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Most dust falls from above Bob, so just rig up a top cover with a damp cloth and most of your dust problems should be defeated….

D

Deleted member 5496

Plus also fine spray water mist about 15 minutes before spraying. Worked well when I used the garage.

One problem I had was the garage door which fitted in only various places allowing wind thro agitating dust.

Laurie

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Most dust falls from above Bob, so just rig up a top cover with a damp cloth and most of your dust problems should be defeated….
Good idea Tim, ta very much
Plus also fine spray water mist about 15 minutes before spraying. Worked well when I used the garage.

One problem I had was the garage door which fitted in only various places allowing wind thro agitating dust.

Laurie
Hi Laurie, thats my major problem, garage door closed its too gloomy, but as you say it never stays part open in the right place and the drive leading to the garage is a bit of a wind tunnel!

When we eventually move i will make sure i have a proper dedicated work room including sprayin!!

D

Deleted member 5496

Yes we moved to a flat. Kicked out of bedroom one . Cannot believe I snore.

So bedroom 2, 9*11ft. Model room with secondary use during night pull out bed. I can dream (Dart Herald nightmare) among my models.

Laurie

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
If it’s dull Bob, put in better lighting or buy a couple of workplace lights from screwfix or such. They are pretty cheap, and can be directed into the area, one per side to minimise shadows. They come in useful when you are decorating as well.

First Name
Martin
I use an Ultrasonic cleaner for my airbrushes(I have two Apex, and an H and S Evolution I add a little windscreen wash fluid, never had any problems.
Martin