cleaning airbrush

S

shaun8478

just a quickie lads

i am in the process of building a 1:35 tiger tank which is coming on quite well.

iam now at the painting stage and brush coated the model in klear,however i wasn't 100% happy with the result and have decided to airbrush the second coat.

the question is what to shoot through the brush afterwards?

would cellulose thinners be a good idea?

many thanks in advance

shaun

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I'd avoid celluluse thinners,it's nasty stuff and I never spray it. It can be used to soak metal parts once all the seals and washers are removed.

For Klear anything containing alcohol or ammonia. If you use windscreen washer fluid or something like Muc-Off bike cleaner they'll do it, if you flush as soon as you've sprayed. Isopropyl alcohol or methylated spirit if it's dried at all.

Steve

D

dubster72

I use vinegar-plenty of ammonia there- & a shot of water to finish up. Patrick

F

Fenlander

I have seen where a product called 'Windex' is good as it is, allegedly, an ammonia based window cleaning fluid. I assume that Windex is an American brand name as I have never seen it here. Just wondering if Asda window cleaner (with added vinegar) would be of a similar make up. Sadly, it does not list the contents on the label.

S

shaun8478

many thanks for the info lads.i really appreciate the more experienced modellers taking time out to help those with less knomledge.

i was in my local asda tonight and saw they had thier own brand screenwash which says on the label "removes dirt,grime and insect deposits" its a dark blue colour and at 99p for 2.5l seemed well worth trying.unfortunatley it dosn't list the ingredients but if it dosn't work i'll just use it in the car.

thanks again

shaun

D

dubster72

You can also use the screenwash to thin Tamiya paint. I've done it & it works well.

PJP

Peter/Pedro/Hey you
First Name
Peter
I am new to airbrushing and a returner to modelling. I have heard that screenwash thins Tamiya, but is the screenwash used neat or itself thinned?

What is Johnson's Klear? I gather it is a varnish and wil need some but is it the floor stuff?

P

Paul1978

Yes PJP, Klear is the floor stuff and works tremendously on models. Easily shot through an airbrush. However, it leaves models glossy which looks a bit ridiculous on armour and a bit exaggerated on aircraft. You can buy Matt Base from Tamiya which you can add to Klear to get a matt effect as well as adding Vallejo varnish to tone down the shine somewhat.

Cheers

paul

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
What about cleaning out your airbrush after you have had Klear in it, is it easy to clean?

D

dubster72

Any ammonia-based product will clean it out John. I use white vinegar but Windolene, car screenwash or a number of other products such as Muck-Off (sold in Halfords) will do the trick.

Patrick

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
Thanks, I will have to give it a try

F

Fenlander

I cannot use vinegar as it makes me want a bag of chips....... However, I used Asda window cleaner and then screen-wash before finishing off with a bit of thinners. No problems noted.

R

RM4U

\ said:
just a quickie ladsi am in the process of building a 1:35 tiger tank which is coming on quite well.

iam now at the painting stage and brush coated the model in klear,however i wasn't 100% happy with the result and have decided to airbrush the second coat.

the question is what to shoot through the brush afterwards?

would cellulose thinners be a good idea?

many thanks in advance

shaun
Hi All,

I recommend the following Airbrush Cleaners:- ( All sold by The Airbrush Company www.airbrushes.com )

1. Medea Airbrush Cleaner (Ready to use -Fast Acting -Odorless and Environmentally Safe) Sold in 4/8/16/32 fl.oz Bottles.

2. Medea Isopropyl Alcohol 472ml Bottle.

3. Premi-air Foaming Airbrush Cleaner (Water Based - Environmentally Safe) for use on Alkali Soluble Acrylics. Sold in 150ml Aerosols.

4. Premi-air Liquid Reamer Airbrush Cleaner (Solvent - Xylene) to clear hardend Paint of all types. Sold in 150ml Aerosols.

5. Paasche 7 Piece Cleaning Brush Set.

I use all of these products. but please be warned that Xylene must not be inhailed.

Leslie.

Last edited:
D

dd2356

To clean my airbrush after using Klear, i rinse it throught with water a couple of times (Klear is water based i think, isn't it?), and then a final flush with Liquid Reamer. Not had a problem so far.

Dave

B

backonthecase

Think I'm going over old territory but I'll add mine to the list. I've used the following to clean and thin both Klear and Acrylic paint: -

-Tesco screenwash (both concentrate and ready mixed)

-Surgical Spirit

-water

-windolene

I can't see any definite pro or con to any of these, except airbrushing with water-thinned Tamiya acrylic has left watermarks in the paint before.

HTH

Stuart

Y

Yamato78

I usually use the nitro thinner, my airbrush are a badger and an inifnity. Theese products has teflon garnitures and the thinner doesn't attack the airbrush.

I put the airbrush in the nitro but ONLY for few seconds... For others company I don't know, the only know is the olimpos that has rubber's oring, for this reason it could damaged it