Cleaning an AB - removing nozzles and needles - what do you do?

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi all

I'd welcome your collective thoughts on a small conundrum I have,

Whilst I've had an AB for a while now I don't get to play with it that often because of restrictions in my domestic modelling set up and so, although I'm generally happy with cleaning my AB's, I'm still looking to streamline the process whilst still giving it a thorough end-of-session clean.

I have though recently come across two conflicting commentaries on this topic on the web.

On a reputable (and recommended) AB supplier website they are adamant that the nozzle, should only ever be removed if damaged. I assume because this risks damaging the nozzle when putting it back on. This therefore means that the needle has to be pulled backwards through the airbrush to give it a clean. This is the method I normally use and have had no major issues.

However, I saw an interesting and generally helpful video on completely disassembling a second hand airbrush AB for a deep, deep clean, even including the air valve. I'm not proposing to anything so drastic as mine doesn't need it but he had a different take on nozzle removal to the AB supplier website.

In his case he always removes the nozzle so he can pull the needle forwards from the AB. He has three reasons for this. One is so the nozzle can be given a decent clean. The second is so that you don't risk damaging the needle as you push it in from the back when reassembling it. The last reason is so that dried paint on the needle doesn't get pulled off and stuck in the body as as you draw it backwards though the "needle packing" washer and "needle packing nut" (his words) at the back of the AB body.

So the question is what do you do? As an FYI my Tamiya Superfine AB uses an IWATA screw-in nozzle.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can offer.

ATB

Andrew

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I have always taken the needle out through the BACK of the brush and I do this not only when I give the brush a deep clean (infrequently) but also when I flush and clean the brush between colours. The latter can be several times a day.
Obviously, you do have to be careful when re-inserting the needle not to dink the point on any part of the airbrush. With the Iwatas that I favour, once the needle is in through the lock nut at the back of the needle chucking guide it will naturally follow a course through the needle packing screw, through the paint cup and into the nozzle assembly. I have never damaged a needle or nozzle doing this, though it is certainly possible if you are ham fisted about it.

I have a couple of Iwata brushes I use routinely. One is over twenty years old and the other more than ten. They both work as well now as they did when I took them out of the box. I can remember buying two or three replacement needles, because I dropped or otherwise damaged them, and a couple of replacement nozzles (which I somehow managed to split, probably with some over zealous cleaning with inter-dental brushes).

Cheers

Steve

outrunner

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Right or wrong I always remove the nozzle and take the needle out and replace it from the front for the reasons stated, it would be very easy to damage the fine needle tip pushing it in from the rear, other opinions are available.

Andy.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
And there you go. Two equally valid opinions in the first two answers.
It's really up to you to adopt the method that you are most comfortable with. It isn't really a case of I'm right and Andy (outrunner) is wrong, or vice-versa; we've just adopted different solutions to the same problem.

Cheers

Steve

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I always remove the needle and nozzle on my Iwatta to clean them at the end of each session. The needle is pulled through the back, and then the nozzle unscrewed. I’ve been doing this for at least six years with no issues. However, my Iwatta does have a needle quick release tail fitted making all of this a job of no more than a few minutes.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I always remove the needle from the rear - whether flushing between colours, or deep cleaning - removing the nozzle, unless it is blocked is a fiddly process, and the 'o' ring liable to damage. AND it is easy to overtighten & shear the thread off!
It's whatever you feel comfortable with. I use acrylics only, so cleanup is a bit easier than enamels
Dave

D

Deleted member 7181

I pull my needle out from the back as I'm concerned about the "bobbly bits" on the end of the needle (that indicate its size) damaging the crucial packing seal (or whatever its called in an airbrush)

I can see the idea behind pulling it in and out from the front but I'd rather not. I do push it forwards past its normal position (once the nozzle is out) and clean as much of it as I can before withdrawing it from the back.

I think the recommendation you've seen of not removing the nozzle unless absolutely necessary is down to the fact that each time you do you wear the threads a little and risk damaging (or losing!) it, but personally I'd rather take that risk and know its thoroughly clean.

outrunner

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Like Andy says, there is a possibility of thread wear on the nozzle caused by taking it out but as a nozzle for my airbrush costs £2.99 delivered I always have a spare in the box.

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Just this minute cleaned my Iwata TR-0

Needle out the back as always, all the nozzle sections apart and cleaned - use one of those red Iwata nozzle spanner things as it keeps hold of it and makes much easier to screw the little thing back in. Can’t really see that a precision thread is going to wear much - they are designed to screw in and out

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I always take the nozzle off and remove the needle from my H & S, since it only takes a couple of minutes and doesn't need any tools. This is after cleaning the paint cup and running a couple of cups of cleaner through the a/b. The nozzle and its retaining cap go into a shot glass of water while I wipe the needle with a paper towel and IPA, then the nozzle gets a blast through from an aerosol of airbrush cleaner. It can be quite surprising how mush paint is in the nozzle. I always remove the nozzle from the front and replace it from the rear, to avoid pushing any residue further back into the airbrush.
Pete

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
I have always taken the needle out through the BACK of the brush and I do this not only when ...............................

Right or wrong I always remove the nozzle and take the needle out and replace it from the front for the re..........................

I always remove the needle and nozzle on my Iwatta to clean them at the end of each session. The needle .........................

I always remove the needle from the rear - whether flushing between colours, or deep cleaning.........................

I pull my needle out from the back as I'm concerned about the "bobbly bits" on the end ...............................

Just this minute cleaned my Iwata TR-0

Needle out the back as always, all the nozzle sections apart and cleaned - use one of those red Iwata nozzle spanner things...............

I always take the nozzle off and remove the needle from my H & S, since it only takes a couple of minutes ........................

Is it only me that does the whole ‘sacrificial chicken’ and chanting to clean the airbrush?................

Guys

Thank you all for taking so much collective time to respond it is appreciated and as I suspected we each have our own preferences!!

Dave - I could not possibly comment on a broken nozzle, other than to say I am in the process of applying for US citizenship so that I plead the 5th amendment!! :crying:

Simon - I've recently come across one of those spanner things and so might have to invest one.

Andy - £2.99 for a nozzle?!?!? Watch this space! ;)

Si - I will not comment on what you and your wife get up to in your own home!! :smiling:;)

ATB all and thanks again.

Andrew

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
Hi Andrew I use these tools a nozzle needle and spanner which are great but since I've incorporated a bucket of water into my spraying set up I've less need of them of to be honest. I've just posted a thread.
Hope this helps cheers John.IMG_0870.JPG

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi Andrew I use these tools a nozzle needle and spanner which are great but since I've incorporated a bucket of water into my spraying set up I've less need of them of to be honest. I've just posted a thread.
Hope this helps cheers John.View attachment 382938
Hi John

I already have the pointy tool and have one of the spanners on order!!

I've just replied to the other message too.

ATB

Andrew

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
Hi John

I already have the pointy tool and have one of the spanners on order!!

I've just replied to the other message too.

ATB

Andrew
Spanners a great tool as it holds the nozzle with less chance of dropping or cross threading.

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Spanners a great tool as it holds the nozzle with less chance of dropping or cross threading.
John, so I've heard. Not to mention overtightening but the less said about that in the presence of my wallet the better!

ATB

Andrew