Cleaning brushes from AK Interactive Real Color paint?

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
How are you supposed to clean brushes after using AK Interactive Real Color paint? I’ve got one bottle of it, and after using that for the first time today, found that neither water nor white spirit washed the paint out of my brush — so what should I use instead? (Preferably without destroying the brush with too harsh solvents etc. :smiling3:)

• Wow
Reactions: JR

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Whats the thinners like then Jakko , would that clean them ?

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
The thinner from that paint line? I have no idea, I have only one bottle of the paint (and a habit of not buying brand-name thinners anyway).

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
The thinner from that paint line? I have no idea, I have only one bottle of the paint (and a habit of not buying brand-name thinners anyway).
Well we know that most of the acrylic thinners are basically the same, just thought it was a try. Have you tried Tamiya thinners?

D

Deleted member 7181

I've never used them but I'm pretty sure they are an acrylic lacquer based paint, so would need a lacquer thinner to clean them. Over here we also use what we call standard or cellulose thinner, but whatever kind of automotive paint thinner you have where you are should work.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I've never used them but I'm pretty sure they are an acrylic lacquer based paint, so would need a lacquer thinner to clean them. Over here we also use what we call standard or cellulose thinner, but whatever kind of automotive paint thinner you have where you are should work.

Agree Andy, just watched this.

No good for me as too strong with the fumes.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I've never used them but I'm pretty sure they are an acrylic lacquer based paint, so would need a lacquer thinner to clean them. Over here we also use what we call standard or cellulose thinner
Thanks, I was afraid of that. I have no trouble putting that through my airbrush to clean it, but I can’t imagine it’s good for my brushes.

D

Deleted member 7181

I do occasionally if I've had to touch something up with Mr Color, but I only risk it on my cheapest brushes.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I think I’ll look for another paint for the thing I was using the AK Interactive stuff on, then :smiling3:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
If they are sable brushes, wash them in hair conditioner afterwards. It will restore the oils in the hairs and minimise damage. Sounds like avoidance is a good future strategy though!

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Hair conditioner … probably a good tip, but that’s not exactly a product I normally have around the house :smiling3: And yeah, I will not be brushing this kind of paint any time soon anymore. The only reason I did was because I thought it was an alcohol-based acrylic, like Tamiya and Gunze-Sangyo. I only discovered otherwise when trying to clean the brush. Luckily I got the paint out anyway by massaging the brush, oddly enough, though this is bad for its shape — but, of course, at least it’s still usable afterward.